Hi! My name is Joan, and I'm . . . a binge reader. There I said it. I feel so much better now.
All kidding aside, I've been a binge reader my entire life. I was the kid with the book and flashlight under the covers because I couldn't bear to close my book at night.
Today's ebook world is a wonderland for readers like me. This past weekend, I went to San Antonio for the opening in an art gallery of an exhibit in which my daughter contributed two pieces.
I had my trusty Kindle with me. Loaded on it was Weddings of Main Street, the romance collection box set to which I'd contributed my novella April Fool Bride. I happily read one after the other. I mean, 11 novellas for only $2.99! Paradise indeed. (Watch the Weddings of Main Street Video.)
Are you a binge reader too? Here's a questionnaire that will help you discover whether you too suffer from this obsessive behavior.
|Watch the April Fool Bride Video.|
1. Are you unable to place a bookmark and close a book once you've started reading?
2. When you finish a book, do you immediately start reading another one?
3. In the rare event that you have no other books to read, do you find yourself in an online bookstore and don't know how you got there?
4. Would you rather read than watch TV?
5. Do you sneak a read when you're supposed to be doing something else like laundry, a spreadsheet that's due, or your writing quota for the day?
6. Do you stay up late at night reading when you should be sleeping?
7. Do you have stacks of books to read and a full ereading device, but you can't resist buying another book?
8. Have you ever said: I can quit any time I want?
If you answered yes to at least half of these questions, you have a problem. If you answered yes to all of them, you're a binge reader. You probably have a cluttered home and piles of work awaiting you.
But who cares? There are worse addictions than reading. Look on the bright side. You're well-read. You can converse on many different subjects. Your kids are probably readers too, and that's helped them develop critical thinking skills. And, you're happy. If you're happy, chances are, your family is happy too. Read on!
To win a copy of Weddings of Main Street, leave a comment with your Amazon Registered Email (written out, NOT as a hot link). The contest closes June 18, Wednesday, at 4 pm, when a winner will be randomly chosen. The winner will be notified the next morning by email.
(Joan Reeves writes Sassy, Sexy Contemporary Romance. Her books are available at all major ebook sellers with audio editions available at Amazon, Audible.com, and iTunes. Joan publishes Writing Hacks, a free newsletter for writers, and I LUV Books, a free newsletter for readers. Find Joan online: Blog, Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.