Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, June 20, 2014

WHAT LIES WITHIN?

By Geri Foster

Those who know me know I love quotes. I have them everywhere. My house, my car, my desk, my office... You give me an empty space and I’ll nail up a quote.

I particularly like to read Ralph Waldo Emerson. One of my favorites is:What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within us out into the world, miracles happen.

Yeah, that’s on my desk!

Emerson
As a writer I think Emerson is talking to the creative spark inside us that creates every word we witers put on paper. Writers are such magical creatures we don’t even know our own powers. Writers pull more stuff out of the ‘blue’ than any other profession. We put together other worlds, people, towns, tragedies and love stronger than anything else on earth. The amazing thing is, people reading our books often believe they are real. We transform the reader into another world. Ar least, that's our goal.

And we do it without acknowledging where it all comes from. All of us have sat in the dark and typed away on our computers; creating God only knows what, until it’s done. There are times I have no idea where I’m going with a story, but something within me does. Something guides me to the end of that raw chapter, and often ignites an idea for the next chapter.

Muse adding Fairy Dust
To some, it’s simply their muse. It shows up and words get written on the page. Ideas materialize out of nowhere. All is well, and the muse gets all the credit, for we are mere mortals. Nothing of genius comes from us.

Fairy Muse with magic wand


It does according to Emerson. It’s all within us right now and has been since the very beginning. There is more within us than we can ever imagine. The stories are unlimited and they get better and better as we go along. We overcome great adversity, we learn things we never knew. We push to the absolute limits of our imagination to come up with a plot others will believe.

Those of us associated with this blog are writers, so in the above way we’re mystical. What is the secret power within you?


I leave you with this quote by Orison Swett Marden: “There are powers inside of you, which, if you could discover and use, would make of you anything you ever dreamed or imagined you’d become.”

Read on!


Geri Foster

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Geri. Wow, I don't know whether to be afraid or inspired at what lies within me. Lol Guess I choose inspired since anything's better than being afraid, right? Upward and onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have that quote framed in my office. I read it when I feel overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect meaningful quotes, too. Loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!