Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Tuesday, June 24, 2014

WHEN BAD GIRLS GO GOOD

I'm not sure when it started. I remember reading Ain't She Sweet? by Susan Elizabeth Phillips back around 2004. At first, I didn't think I could enjoy a book about a young woman, Sugar Beth Carey, spoiled and all round bitch (sorry) who returns to her hometown to face all the people she tormented.  I wasn't a big fan of Scarlett O'Hara, so this didn't sound like my kind of book. Surprise! Susan made her sympathetic and redeemed her in the end. It is one of my favorite books.

Wicked the Musical by sugarXfrostNow, there seems to be a surge of formerly "bad" girls telling their story and explaining how they got a bad rap. For example, Wicked, the Musical. Who knew, Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West was mistreated and completely misunderstood.
                             

Maleficent is the iconic "evil witch" but she has her own movie telling the other side of the story. Oh, she started out good, then turned bad, then back to good. Confusing? Yeah, but it is a lot of fun.

So, what's next?  Maybe we've become tired of the good girl heroines. Sort of like eating too much chocolate. Sweetness and perfection gets sickening after a while. Harlequin churned out hundreds of books about rich, but flawed bad boys and wide eyed, helpless secretaries. Lately, I've noticed their heroines are finally getting stronger and showing their teeth, too.

I like this trend. It shakes up our beliefs and makes us think. Maybe the ugly step-sisters had good reason for resenting Cinderella. Not everyone is born beautiful.






3 comments:

  1. Great post! As long as there is redemption at the end of the story, I like to read about "bad girls".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't She Sweet is one of my favorite books. I've read it several times and listened to the audiobook more times than I can remember. Of course, the key to bad girls going good is that they're reformed in their hearts but no one realizes it. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I'm glad to see stronger heroines and a twist on the traditional sweet but unrealistic characters. We all grow (I hope) into more interesting people as we go through life. Pollyanna could become pretty boring eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!