Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A TEXAS TORNADO BLEW THROUGH IT



Now you might think I'm talking about the weather with that title, but fortunately tornado season in Texas, for the most part, is over. No, I'm talking about organization or the lack of that particular skill. If you have it, I'm super happy for you. It just so happens when they were handing out special traits, I must have gotten in the wrong line.

My husband is extremely organized and doesn't expect the house to be clean-clean (thank goodness), but he does prefer for things to be picked up and put away. I suppose you can tell where this tale is going, can't you?

I do fairly well keeping the main part of the house straight. Frequently I do what I call a whirlwind pick up. That's where I run through throwing things out of sight and, on the surface, the rooms are presentable for company. But I have one room that serves as a catch all, kind of like a junk drawer. Everyone has one of those, right? If you don't, I don't want to know.


 Anyway, mine is my office. This first pic is my idea of a perfect office in which to create all my books. In reality, I use it to store all our files for important papers, my husband's clothes closet, it's where I watch TV, read, keep special knick-knacks and memorabilia, my husband sleeps in there on the daybed when our grandson stays over, plus it's where I keep research books and write. The final insult is it holds all the items from the whirlwind until I get around to putting them away. It really is a lot for a 10x12 room.



When the Hubs goes in there, he always asks if I'm ever going to pick up. Well, I would if I had another room to store all the stuff. <grin> I don't think my office is as bad as the pic I found , but he usually asks for a road map or a whip and a chair. He's such a comedian.







I fully expect him to come home with a roll of police tape to mark it off limits.








As I said, I don't think my office is as bad as he thinks it is. I know exactly where everything is and can find any item fairly quickly. I've seen other writers offices and, I don't think mine's any worse than most. Below are "Before" and "After" pics of the real office. I almost didn't share so try not to judge too severely.






I swear everything on top of that desk is important.











But I do admit it's much easier to write without the clutter. Sigh, someday.







At any rate, I have managed to complete my first western historical novella regardless of the mess in the office. It's titled, KATIE AND THE IRISH TEXAN, The Texas Code Series, The McTiernans, and will be published on June 27th.



Blurb:
Dermot McTiernan is determined to move on with his life after losing his one and only love to another man. He decides to try his hand at ranching in North Central Texas with his friend, Ian Benning. He figures if that doesn't work out, there are many other opportunities in the booming post-war state. When the luscious red-head from County Cork, Ireland shows up in Dallas, can he retain the courage of his convictions and move on without her?


Kathleen O'Donnell made a monumental mistake marrying, Kelsey Gilhooley. Her decision for entering the union, no matter how honorable, had made her life a living hell. Even though still married, she holds out hope for finding the man of her dreams. When she comes across her tall, dark-eyed Irishman in Dallas, Texas, will she be able to abandon happiness and walk away a second time?


Well, that's it for today. You know, maybe I will take a swing at picking up the office. How fast do you think I can add on an extra room??

Remember, I love it when you chime in, and don't forget to sign up for my newsletter on my website, http://carracopelin.com.

 H.U.G.S
Carra

Find me on my website:

6 comments:

  1. Where did you get a photo of my office? LOL No, mine's not quite as bad as the really bad one you showed. Closer than I wish, though. Like you, I'd be neater if I had more room. Going from a 12 x 14 office with a closet and bookshelves to a 7 x 10 office is impossible. I'm still culling and throwing away stuff I'd really like to save--but there's no room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never enough room and it probably doesn't matter how large the space. We tend to expand to the space available just as in our jeans, but that's another blog for another day! LOL

      Delete
  2. Well, that problem isn't limited to just authors! I think it is a "creative" problem! A creative brain just isn't wired like everyone else's. Like you, I know where everything is - most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, wholeheartedly. Now, if I could convince the Hubs to give up trying to change me and just let it go!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finishing your novella. I hate to confess this, but I only clean my office when I've finished a book. Since I just finished April Fool Bride for the Weddings on Main Street Collection 19 days ago--*g*-- I've spent the last 2 weeks shoveling, uh, cleaning up the mess. I also tackled all the filing, paperwork, and accounting that fell by the wayside. As of this very moment, I'm 90% caught up on everything! I'm trying to enjoy the feeling while it lasts because I've started working on the next book already. Bye bye neat office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoveling-er-cleaning is always a good thought, but right now I have several stories hovering around so that's all it is - a good thought. Poor office. :-(
    Congrats are winging their way to you. Looking forward to April Fool Bride!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!