Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I'M FLUFFY!

by
Kathy Shaw

            I’m fluffy—and proud of it!
            Fluffy in my writing style, that is. (“No Comment,” concerning the magnet on my refrigerator stating, “Ewe's not fat. Ewe's just fluffy.”)
            Tolstoy, I’m not. Actually, I don’t want to be a War and Peace kind of author. Personally, I think there is plenty of daunting, serious stuff in the world without me adding to it. I just want to entertain in my own light-hearted, unadulterated way. But enough about me.
            Let’s talk writing styles. Imagine writing styles as animals in a zoo.
          
What's cuter or cuddlier than kittens?

  There’s the fluffy section that houses the cute and cuddly animals. They make you laugh and feel warm and fuzzy inside. This is my kind of place. You can also find Rachael Gibson, Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Bond and many more living in my world of fluff.
           
Edvard Munch, "The Scream"

There are the caged areas where scary creatures with weird weaponry and psychopathic personality disorders reside. They make your heart pound. Adrenaline floods your bloodstream. Your hands shake as you study the beasts but they draw you in, torturing and satisfying you at the same time. This is where you will find authors such as Lisa Gardner, Lisa Jackson or Edgar Allen Poe.
           

There is even a Pachyderm Pavilion where huge elephants move slowly, but with purpose. They make you ponder the world as you know it or remind you of how small you are in the grander scheme of life. Tolstoy, Orwell, Hemingway and Dickens are just a few of the greats living in the Pavilion.
            

My zoo even has a hidden stable where magical beings are kept. You might see shape shifters, vampires, immortals, ghosts, witches or even an elf now and then. This is an eclectic mix of creatures, some are funny, some are scary—but they are all hotties. Because really, who wants to live forever ugly? This habitat includes Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dianna Love and H.T. Night among others.
            I just skimmed the surface of the many inhabitants/writing styles in my fictional zoo, but I’m sure my point was made. I enjoy many hours visiting most of the areas in my zoo, but I live in the fluffy section.
            So I repeat. I’m fluffy—and proud of it!
            As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on my thoughts. Please leave a comment; good, bad or ugly, and I’ll get back to you ASAP. The bad and ugly might have a little bit of a wait (it takes me a while to lick my wounds) but I promise to respond to all.

P.S. If you want to see just how fluffy I am, my books are listed below. Click on the title to go to the Amazon link.

I Do—Kinda (Contemporary romance)
Hide and Seek (Contemporary romance)
Twin Trap (Historical romance)
Blondie and the Hitman (Humorous Mystery)

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Kathy! There is a need for "fluff" as well as all the other genres! Sometimes I just want to escape and not read anything where I have to think - I just want to be entertained! Thank you for what you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karren,

      Some people are good at that whole thinking thing. I'm just not one of them. Glad to hear there are others out there who like to escape the real world. Maybe next time we can carpool together!

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I love your books--but you know that. You have a real gift for making people forget their cares and smile, even in your mysteries. Thanks for lifting our spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shucks, Caroline. I love you and your books too! Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  3. Hey, fluffy gets a bad rap. Everything in life exists in opposites--good and evil, pretty and plain, fluffy and serious. *g* Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!