Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Monday, January 20, 2020

How We Blasted in The New Year --Laurean Brooks


How did you ring in the New Year? Did you watch the giant ball fall in Times Square? Did you watch a fireworks display? Or did you go to the bed at the usual time and snore through the strokes of midnight?


My hubby and I celebrated a little differently this year. I began to get fever and congestion early on New Year's Eve. By evening, I was running a four-degree temperature, coughing and getting chills. I had worked on a manuscript all day, taking only short breaks to eat and breathe. Then I realized I had the flu.

Don't leave. I'm getting to the good part.

At 9 p.m. I fell into bed, thinking I could sleep for days. At 11:45 p.m., when I trudged to the bathroom, I heard a gusher behind the wall that sounded like Niagara Falls. I went back to the bedroom and shook my husband awake. “I think we have a bad water leak, and it's coming from the closet where our water heater is located.”

He walked into the spare room and pulled the partition loose in the closet. Water blasted him in the face. “Turn the well and hot water off!” he screamed.


I hurried to the breaker box and flipped the well and hot water switches while he pulled on a coat and walked out to the well house to turn off the faucet on the tank. Thank goodness, we keep 10 gallons of water on hand for emergencies. Like flushing the toilet. 

At the stroke of midnight, I was throwing down rags and towels, stomping on them to soak up as much excess water as possible, from the soggy carpet. Then I plugged up a fan to help blow help dry it out.


I fell back into bed around 1 a.m. exhausted. But not before I wished my half-asleep husband a “Happy New Year.” He rolled over on his stomach and groaned.


We had a blast at our house. Tell me, how did you celebrate your New Year's Eve?

                                  ***************************************************
https://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Macon-Moon-Laurean-Brooks-ebook/dp/B00UZXUL88/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Enjoy this sweet romance about a young woman who learns a family secret that turns her world topsy-turvy. Will escaping to Macon solve Jaela's problems, or will they follow her there? 
Witty, loveable characters, suspicious neighbors, and a twist of circumstances make BENEATH A MACON MOON a must-read. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a way to start the New Year. I hope all is well now. My husband had gotten a gift certificate to the Longhorn Restaurant from our daughter and son-in-law for Christmas, so we ate there. Then, we watched New Year's unfold on our television and listened to it booming its way into the neighborhood until well after one o'clock. Just thankful to be healthy and happy. Happy 2020 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail Pallotta, tt sounds like you had a great New Year's Eve and celebrated well onto midnight. I hope you have a wonderful year, to boot. Thank you for coming by to comment.

      Delete
  2. Hello Fellow Blog readers. I hope you had a nice New Year's Eve. Mine was, well...different. I don't think I want to ring it in this way again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, Laurean, what a way to start the New Year. Here's hoping you are back on track. My husband and I spent a quiet night at home with a glass of wine. I do like the idea of a new year and starting over, but truly, life keeps going on and resetting really is just in your mind. Best of luck with "Beneath a Macon Moon."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by, Judy. I am much better, but still have an occasional cough and congestion. Your quiet night at home sounds nice...compared to mine. LOL "Beneath A Macon Moon" has been out for a while, but thank you for the well wishes. I wish you the Best of Luck in your writing, also. I did just sign a second contract with Mantle Rock Publishing, and sent the ms off last night. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's awful. What amazed me is that you snapped to and dived in to help your husband—even though you must have felt simply awful! It's amazing what adrenaline can help us do in emergencies. Happy New Year. *g* It's bound to be a good one after that beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope so, Joan. Last year didn't start so well, with my husband's heart surgery. Re: the cleanup. Hubby went back to bed and let me sop up the water. I worked about 30 minutes then gave it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!