Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A GOOD NIGHT'S REST

by Judy Ann Davis

How do you fall asleep at night? I have friends who say they stare at the ceiling. I have others who say they run all the problems they must face the next day around and around in their heads in one whirling and vicious circle. Others rehash all the wrong things that occurred in the last twenty-four hours and get angry at themselves and others for the outcomes.

As a writer, I’m very fortunate. Fictional writing allows me to conquer nighttime anxiety and the stress which many others feel on a regular basis. Instead, when I fall into bed at the end of day, I set aside the unsettling daytime moments and dive into realigning, reviewing, and mentally writing pieces of my fictional stories still in progress. Sometimes I ponder what my next scene might be. Sometimes I contemplate how to get my hero or heroine from one place to another seamlessly with little effort and few words. And many times I take a stab at creating a new scene or some humorous dialogue to push my storylines forward.

Using this method allows me to divert any anger, pressures, and irritations that have happened throughout the day. It’s a complete attitude changer. It’s soothing. Often, I discover I have a hopeful spirit about the next day ahead. And to be honest, many times I find all this crazy mental creating just zaps me instantly into a sleep mode.

So tell me.  How do you fall asleep at night?  

To read more about my writing, visit or follow me on my blog: A Writer’s Revelations
I can also be found on Amazon, Facebook, Twitter

To obtain a copy of “Under Starry Skies,” my western, mystery and romance, visit Amazon



Blurb for UNDER STARRY SKIES

Hired as the town’s school teacher, Maria O’Donnell and her sister Abigail arrive in the Colorado Territory in 1875, only to find the uncle they were to stay with has been murdered.

Rancher Tye Ashmore is content with life until he meets quiet and beautiful Maria. He falls in love at first sight, but her reluctance to jeopardize her teaching position by accepting his marriage proposal only makes him more determined to make her part of his life.

When their lives are threatened by gunshots and a gunnysack of dangerous wildlife, Tye believes he is the target of an unknown enemy. Not until Maria receives written threats urging her to leave does she realize she might be the target instead of the handsome rancher.

With the help of Tye, Abigail, and a wily Indian called Two Bears, Maria works to uncover her uncle’s killer and put aside her fears. But will she discover happiness and true love under Colorado’s starry skies?



5 comments:

  1. Like you, I get the answer to scene problems or more conflict as I lie trying to go to sleep. Isn't writing novels the best job ever? Welcome to Smart Girls Read Romance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me to blog with "Smart Girls Read Romance." I'm excited about reading all the many and diverse blogs from the group. A BIG hello to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bigger problem on not sleeping right away is the middle of the night wake up. I do work out plot elements, but sometimes that one has me worrying about things that happened years ago. When I realize I am not helping myself, I rely on counting backward from 100

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Good one. I'm going to try the counting backwards just to see if I can get to one. Did you ever have to count backwards twice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, I often don't get past the 70s. another trick of falling asleep that I read in a book was to count 1 on an intake of breath and again on little it go; then 2 with take a breath and 2 with let it go. So repeat as it calms the mind and slow breathing is helpful. If I get to 10, I start over.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!