Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, February 4, 2022

Love, Writing, and #TikTok by @JacquieRogers

 

 Love, Writing, and TikTok


A year ago last Christmas, my son and his family visited for a week, and we really had a great time.  Especially my granddaughter and me.   We cooked--she's quite the fashion statement in her little green apron--and we played games.  One thing she loved to do is make and edit selfies of the two of us on SnapChat.  When she got tired of that, she said, "Grandma, you need to get on TikTok."

"I don't know the first thing about TikTok," I told her.  "Besides, the last thing I need is another social network that requires posting, comments, and moderation."

"But Grandma, what big teeth you have."  She covered her mouth and giggled.  "Just kidding.  But seriously, no one goes on Facebook anymore."

"My friends do."

"Your friends are old."

I didn't point out to this precocious eight year-old that nearly everyone is old to her, but I do have to confess that my bones creak, I know how to use a dial telephone, I watched Neil Armstrong take the first step on the moon, that I have seven grandkids, and even three greats.  I reckoned there was little choice but to throw in the threadbare towel.  "You're right, my friends and I are old.  But as for TikTok, I have no idea how to load it or use it."

"I can load it for you."  She took my phone from me and started poking at icons.  As the app was loading, she said, "I can show you how to make a video, too."

I consented.  After she logged me in, I asked her, "What's your handle so I can friend you?"

She shrugged.  "Oh, I'm not on TikTok.  My mom won't let me."

But she sure knew how to use it.  I'm still laughing.  You can follow me on TikTok at @jacquierogersbooks.  The thing of it is, I have no idea what to post on there.  I write western historicals and some fantasy.  I have enough story ideas to last me until I'm about 450 years old, but I'll be durned if I can come up with a cohesive TikTok strategy.  Maybe I am that old.  Holy moly.

Speaking of strategy, I've shifted gears on my work in progress, and now I'm writing a novella about Honey Beaulieu's ghost sidekick, Roscoe.  I have lots of ideas for the story but I'm still niggling about POV.  Should I stick with Honey's POV?  Or maybe go into Roscoe's.  I'm sorta thinking that Honey should narrate and Roscoe should tell his own story.  At any rate, I had a long talk with Diane Garland and we worked on getting the already published facts about Roscoe listed so I don't mess up.  

Working title is Crazy Curse in Crowfoot Cove.  How does that sound to you?  I'm between 50% and 60% happy with that title.  Roscoe might toss me another as I'm writing.  He keeps whispering in my ear that if I have alliteration, it should be with R since his first name starts with that letter.  Then again his last name is Peevey, so we could do something there.  I think P is a funnier letter than R--or C, for that matter.

Whatever... I guess I better get to work!





Until next month, Happy Reading!




If you're on Snapchat, friend me!  My handle is jacquierogers.  You can get videos of Sassy's latest updates there.  And goofy pictures of her scribe.

6 comments:

  1. I love that your granddaughter knew all about Tik Tok but can't use it! A fun post, and I like your title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kids and phones! We definitely need the kids around to show us how to use phones that will do anything but make a call. LOL

      Delete
  2. Whatever you call it, I can hardly wait to read Roscoe's story. I know it will keep me entertained and laughing. As for TikTok, I'm waffling. I'd like to join but have no idea what to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole video thing is daunting. Hair, makeup, content that's actually interesting. Yikes! Roscoe is laughing at me.

      Delete
  3. Kids are so tech advanced these days! I don't plan to do TikTok at all- but who knows I may change my mind. I love the title- Crazy Curse of Crawfoot Cove- sorta just rolls off the tongue- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, though? She's smart as a whip and I was happy to receive a call saying she and her family will be here at the end of the month. Yay!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!