Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Monday, February 14, 2022

Wandering by Bea Tifton

 

I am sitting at my desk, typing my blog. The reason I mention this is that I am so proud of myself for knowing exactly where I am. If I get thirsty, I can walk to the kitchen for more iced tea. After several glasses of tea, I can mosey down the hall to the necessary room. But once I leave the house, it might be an entirely different story.

I have absolutely no sense of direction. I can get lost in my own neighborhood. Tell me I can’t miss something? I take that as a personal challenge. Yes, I can. Truly, I can.

When I was growing up, this lack of awareness really didn’t matter that much. I was little, and my feet wouldn’t reach the pedals, so the big people in my life drove me around. There was one awkward time when one of the teenagers from church gave me a ride home from youth group. We found my house. Eventually.


I’m usually a very prompt person. I arrive early to meetings, right on time to social events. But I used to have to leave early whenever I had to be somewhere to allow time for me to get lost and regain my bearings. I actually missed a nice dinner meeting once because there was construction and I missed my exit in an area where several freeways intersected. No recovering from that one until the meeting was long over. I use landmarks to find things and if construction or new builds change the landscape, I’m toast.

My mother was always up for an adventure when we were running errands. She would impulsively zig instead of zag, saying, “Let’s see where this road leads, “or “We’ve never gone this way.” If we were traveling and we saw something interesting, we’d stop to investigate. It’s a running joke in our family that everything is “on the way” even if we have to go way outside the quickest route to get to it. I mean, we stop on the way home, right? Therefore, it's on the way.


One of my dearest friends is as hapless at finding her way as I am.

It’s really the blind leading the blind. We’ve, um, gone exploring many times and actually have seen some very interesting things. Please don’t use words like, “north,” “south,” “east”, or “west” when telling me how to get somewhere. I make it a point not to drive when I’m with friends who get frustrated with my many detours. Going straight from point A to point B is so rigid, anyway.


I think the person who made GPS available to the general public deserves a Nobel Prize. As long as I have my phone, I can get there. Yes, there have been a few odd exceptions where the GPS is as confused as I, but most of the time it’s a life saver. I know when I have to leave the house and how I’m going to get there. 


 That’s not to say that I still don’t take a few detours to explore. Life should not always be straight from point A to point B when there are so many fascinating unknowns in the world. Remember what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, “Not all who wander are lost.”



Photos: 
Road signs: Wikimedia Commons
Child in Car: Melike Benli
Next Four Miles: Isaac Garcia
Woman in Car with Map:Dominika Roseclay
Winding Road: Liam Gant
Mysterious Forest: Pedro Figueras

4 comments:

  1. I loved this. I like to take detours occasionally to see what I might be missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. So many interesting places to go and things to see.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this--and identified with it! GPS is the best thing since...well, the last best thing. My affinity for "let's go this way" drives my always-the-same-route husband crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a chuckle out of this post. I've learned to navigate via landmarks or I use GPS. My husband does his crazy navigating with such phrases as "go north, go east, go southwest from here, etc.," like I can find my (exact) way via the direction of the sun. Yeah, right. It's somewhere in the sky and is shining, thank you, dear. Great post! Still laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!