Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, February 6, 2022

Just Smile! ~Sherri Easley

 

One of the reasons I write is because my mother told me these incredible stories about growing up during the Great Depression and living through WWII.

I know it wasn’t as romantic as I want to believe. Times were hard and people were resilient.

I have been trying to finish this second book and was thinking through the characters when something came to mind. My book is set in the 1940s, but what if the setting was today? I mean now, during this pandemic.

 

Here is an excerpt from my book in progress:

The driver’s shout brought her back to the moment, and Emma made haste to reclaim her seat. It annoyed her to see that stretched out on the seat in front of her was one of the young men from the back of the bus, especially since there were so many empty seats.

He was wearing a silly grin as a mop of sandy brown hair fell recklessly over his twinkling blue eyes. He nodded to greet her. Emma almost smiled at his goofy, anxious grin, but she bit her lip and turned away, pretending to ignore him.

“Can you play that guitar?” He faced backward over his seat and motioned toward the case.

“As a matter of fact, I can.” The corners of her mouth turned up slightly before she turned back to watch the traffic.

 

Now today’s version:

The driver’s shout brought her back to the moment, and Emma made haste to reclaim her seat while being sure to stand six feet apart while waiting in line to board the bus.

It annoyed her to see that stretched out on the seat in front of her was one of the young men from the back of the bus, especially since there were so many empty seats. Immediately, she began searching for one with more distance from the rude stranger. At least he is wearing his mask, she thought.

A mop of sandy brown hair fell recklessly over his twinkling blue eyes, but his mask covered his mouth, so she was not sure if the twinkle was from friendliness or if he had ill intent on his mind. He nodded to greet her.

Emma took her seat and turned away, calculating in her mind if his germs would reach her and wishing he would go away.

He faced backward over his seat and mumbled something inaudible as he pointed to her guitar case. Was he here to steal her guitar or did he want something else?

“I’m sorry. I can’t understand what you are saying. Speak up.”

There are so many things in our life I have taken for granted. Things like a tender embrace, Sunday visits, shopping, and facial clues. The thing I miss most, though, is seeing people smile.

I am really hoping when this is all said and done; we have not forgotten how to smile. 

 



I would love to see an excerpt from one of your books- In today’s setting! Show me your stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Therein lies the reason many of us are ignoring the pandemic in writing--that and needing a place withOUT it. As for the smiling, as long as we can see their eyes, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually listened to a story early on- that was written during the pandemic-I was surprised that someone jumped in on it so quickly. At this point, I am so over it...

      Delete
  2. My current work is a contemporary cozy mystery. I do NOT mention the pandemic because I think people read to escape hearing about it. I do. I look forward to reading Emma's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never seriously write anything related to the pandemic either-it did strike me as odd once I started thinking about the things we write, "smile that didn't reach his eyes" "his lips twitched" "Her mouth turned up on the edges" ... all those facial cues and actions we write to not say smile...I am sure if anyone falls in love in this dark time, there will be some sexy way to write those things- Love finds a way.. I am looking forward to your reading your cozy mystery! ;) I am intrigued!

      Delete
  3. I'm ignoring the pandemic, too. I actually wonder how many people would want to read a book where masks had to be mentioned. It's been two long years and I want to enjoy a good story line. Yours sounds like it will be an enjoyable read. Best of luck writing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!