Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, March 2, 2022

YOU ARE THE GREATEST!

By Caroline Clemmons

Confession time—I can’t help comparing myself to other authors. Not the ones who quit, that would be too simple. No, I compare myself to super-successful writers. I started out in the writing business wanting to be the next Nora Roberts. Ha ha. To say I haven’t made it is an understatement.

This past Sunday, our minister said that comparing ourselves to others is a form of vanity. Ouch! It isn’t the fame or financial success I envy (although that would be wonderful), it’s the ability to sell books. Authors pour our hearts into the books we write. If they don’t sell well, the rejection stings. More than stings, it’s a knife to the heart of our creativity.

Recently, I released a new book which I was certain would be a success. It’s cute, the heroine is feisty and fun, the book has a great cover, there’s a handsome deputy sheriff secondary character, and an HEA ending. But, it isn’t selling well. I’ve done all the usual things to promote it, yet it still isn’t selling. How does this make me feel? I can’t help feeling like I’ve failed. It’s personal.

To make me feel worse (or so it seems), Amazon has mistakenly added reviews from another book to the new one. They haven’t removed them in spite of my repeated requests. Is Amazon out to get me? No, but sometimes it seems that way.

The thing I (we) have to remember is that each of us is a unique being with special gifts. Not just one gift, but many. Perhaps one stands out most and/or brings us the most fulfillment, but we have many talents. We aren’t competing with others—we are in competition with ourselves to keep improving, to feel fulfilled, to accomplish our personal best.

I don’t like boxing, but I remember Mohamed Ali’s mantra, “I am the greatest!” If I’ve done my best and written the best book I can, then that is success, the greatest I can be. How can I do better than my best?

I challenge you to say the same to yourself: I am the greatest I can be!

By the way, the book I just released is DEATH IN THE PERFECT HOUSE, A Zoe Wilder Cozy Mystery, book 1. Zoe is determined to find the killer of her friend after the death is ruled accidental. Things change when the handsome new Chief Deputy arrives and the death is ruled murder. Zoe isn’t sure Deputy McBride (aka Deputy McBossy) is serious, so she vows to continue her search. Can she avoid becoming the next victim? The link to Amazon is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RY7G2NW 



Stay safe and keep reading!

 

9 comments:

  1. Compete not with others, but with yourself. Easier to say then do, but something to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much, much easier to say than do, but I'm trying. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I've read your work, and you ARE the greatest. I love cozy mysteries and I'm excited to read your latest book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I loved writing this cozy mystery. Apparently, you're the only one excited to read this book. :(

      Delete
  3. Great post. You just verbalized in the post everything we all, as writers, think and have thought as we keep on pounding the keys. The current flood of books, both good and bad, make it difficult to find a niche and an audience. Also, having a BIG advertising budget is now needed. I have to think that the main reason we write is because we "can't not write." It's part of our heart and soul. So keep on doing what you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Judy Ann. I would love to have a BookBub but it would cost me over $800 for my cozy mystery. That is way over my ad budget! As you said, I can't NOT write--it's in my soul. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Boy, did I need this today! Thank you for it, and you ARE the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just now catching up on the blog. Your new book has such a cute cover. I think it's starting to take off. Hope it soars.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!