Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, March 16, 2022

9 Truths in an Uncertain World

I had to come home from the country because our WiFi no longer works there. It seems a cell tower went down which means anyone who wants internet is S.O.L.

Even though I was home in time to get this post published, I fell by the wayside due to tiredness.

(Giveaway Alert: See details at end of post.)

So I'm writing this the afternoon of the 16th instead of the day before when I should have done so and scheduled it.

That leads me to the subject of today's post:

Undeniable Truths in an Uncertain World.

1. Truth: Some things change.

Two years ago in March, I was blogging about how to sew surgical masks if you couldn't find any disposable ones to buy.

2. Truth: Some things stay the same.

CoVid is still with us in its ever-mutating vampiric life.

3. Truth: Evil people still walk the earth.

Hey, Putin. Why invade a sovereign country? As a student of history, your actions are scarily reminiscent of Hitler.

4. Truth: Duct tape and Gorilla Glue can fix just about anything.

One of our holiday guests who shall remain nameless knocked my laptop to the floor or stepped on it or played keep away with it or something. It has a crack completely across the bottom of the case, another crack at the top left corner of the screen, and the outlet where the power cord plugs in won't hold the cable now.

With Hubby's help, I took the whole thing apart, cleaned all the dust from the inside, painted the cracks of the case that could be seen on the inside with Gorilla glue, let it dry, put it together, then ran beads of glue on the outside cracks, let it dry, then duct taped every broken piece of the case. Guess what? It works again, and the power cable stays in the slot.

5. Truth: When you need to see a Chiroprator, don't delay!

This is the root cause of my extreme tiredness. I postponed an appointment I had for last week, thinking I'd go this week. Well, guess what? He's on spring break!

6. Truth: Best intentions mean nothing unless you take immediate action.

That's the reason I haven't been keeping up with my posting responsibilities for Smart Girls Read Romance. Too many things on my plate. 

Late at night, I look at my To Do list and realize I didn't get a post written. Each time, I think, "I'll jump on that tomorrow." When tomorrow comes, the same thing happens. Mea culpa. I actually wrote a goal on my day planner today to fix this problem!

7. Truth: Daylight Savings Time sucks!

We are no longer a nation of farmers so why can't they leave the blankety blank time one way or the other. 

8. Truth: Prices will continue to escalate.

Darling Hubby who spent his career in the Financial side of Risk Management and Energy Trading said this is just the beginning. The gasoline situation you see unfolding will have a domino effect on just about everything. Batten down the hatches folks.

9. Truth: Reading is a perfect escape from harsh reality.

Like I always say, "Too much reality is depressing. Read a book and escape." You can read in print, audio, or digital. Ebooks can be read on dedicated devices like a Kindle, a tablet like Kindle Fire or iPad, on a laptop, desktop PC, or on your cell phone.

If you're a reader, teach the others in your family or friends group the joy of reading. Find out what they like in movies, TV, video games, and find books with those plots, themes, characters. That will hook them on reading.

A good book can sweep you away from the problems of the world for at least a few hours. Reading is like a little vacation between the covers of a book. Reading is also one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. 

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of free ebooks of every genre offered by authors who hope you'll discover their wonderful books.

When you find authors you like, subscribe to their newsletters for the best bargains. Most ebooks are priced from 99¢ to $3.99 usually. Or, you can subscribe to Kindle Unlimited for a mere $9.99 per month and read as many books as you desire. (All of my full-length books are on Kindle Unlimited.)

For Your Consideration

I have a new release that's on Kindle Unlimited, Foolishly Yours.

About Foolishly Yours

Her ex-fiancé didn't break her heart, but he dented Sam's confidence. She's careful now not to become romantically entangled. Then she meets Grayson, a rude, insensitive beast, she decides.

She's appalled when she learns he’s on the island to stay. What’s worse, he seems to turn up everywhere she goes! Now, she can't stop thinking about the jerk! He's everything she disdains in a man—an unemployed slacker with no ambition. So why does he take her breath away?

Giveaway Alert

I'm giving away a free copy of Foolishly Yours by random drawing.

To enter this giveaway, go to my personal blog SlingWords.

Read the short post and click one of the links to watch the video for Foolishly Yours. It's only 30 seconds long.

Then leave a comment on that post with your email addy written out and tell me if you think the video is too short, too long, or just right.

Drawing is open until March 20, 2022, at midnight. Winner notified by email.

Post Script

Sign up for my free Newsletter and receive a NL twice a month with free and bargain books. You'll also receive a welcome gift of a romance ebook.


4 comments:

  1. Joan, I sp appreciate this post. My day job has me working 10-14 hours a day, and meanwhile, the emotional hits keep coming. Last week, I finally smudged my house with Sage- I will let you know if it works ;) hang in there-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm for anything that works, Sherri. Keep us posted.

      Delete
  2. I like your truths. I am startled by the unexpectedness of this time of my life. When it was my mother and mother-in-law who were my age, everything seemed so calm. I wonder now if it ever really was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Liz. When I was a teen, it was Vietnam. Like most kids, I was oblivious to the seriousness of what was going on. Then came the Gulf Wars. Now this. Putin scares me silly. I think he has a Hitler complex, and I don't know what it's going to take to stop him short of an act of God.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!