Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, October 8, 2021

Biography: write what you know by Jan Scarbrough


Whether it is the Bluegrass of Kentucky, the mountains of Montana, or Medieval England, Jan Scarbrough brings you home with romances from the heart.

Hi! My name is Jan Scarbrough. I’m new to the blogging group, but I’m not new to writing. In fact, after a life-threatening illness when I was thirty-eight, I decided it was time to make my dream of being a novelist come true. So, I did!

I’ll print my website biography, then comment on it so you’ll get to know me better.

The author of two popular Bluegrass series, Jan writes heartwarming contemporary romances about home and family, single moms and children, and if the plot allows, about another passion—horses. Living in the horse country of Kentucky makes it easy for Jan to add small town, Southern charm to her books and the excitement of a Bluegrass horse race or a competitive horse show.

“They” say to write what you know. I live in Kentucky, so I set many of my books in my home state. I’ve been a single mom and raised two children. I like to ride American Saddlebred horses, so some of my books involved the show horse world. I also own a very small percentage (think ½ per cent) of a few thoroughbred racehorses. I’ve stood with other owners in the paddock of Churchill Downs and walked with them to the owner’s seats. I haven’t been in the winner’s circle yet for a group picture, but there’s time.

The Ghost Mountain Ranch series contains a trilogy of three contemporary western books with a good blend of mystery and happily-ever-after romance.


I actually have two western series on KindleUnlimited. The Dawsons of Montana is about a family whose father dies. I’m working on the fourth book in that series now. You need to read at least three books of the Ghost Mountain Ranch series to find “who done it.”

Slade: Ghost Mountain Ranch is actually on sale for 99 cents until Saturday (10/09)

Jan leaves her contemporary voice behind with two paranormal gothic romances, Timeless and Tangled Memories, a Romance Writers of America (RWA) Golden Heart finalist. Her historical romance, My Lord Raven, is a medieval story of honor and betrayal.

Most of my writing career I couldn’t decide what I wanted to write, so I wrote two gothic romances and one medieval. I love all three of these books.

A member of Novelist, Inc., Jan self-publishes her books with her husband’s help.

Without Bill’s help, I couldn’t self-publish my titles. I have a great editor named Karen. That’s my team.

Jan lives in Louisville, Kentucky, with one rescued dogs, one rescued cat, and a husband she rescued twenty years ago. She needs a weekly horse fix and takes horseback riding lessons at Premier Stables and likes to volunteer at Alley Cat Advocates.


Our two corgis died this summer. So, what did we do? We went to the Kentucky Humane Society and adopted a sweet red tick coonhound named Bella! From eight short legs to four LONG ones! Slowly, we’re learning how to live in the city with a hunting dog. Oh, she’s already killed a backyard raccoon! They’re not called coonhounds for nothing!

I hope you take a look at my books. They won't cost much, and if you're on KindleUnlimited and like cowboys, you've got it made!


4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog Jan! You had me at rescue dog. ;)
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday morning. Bella has eaten breakfast and gone back to sleep -- first on the sofa, then the bed. Rotten dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your books. My Lord Raven captured me from the beginning and never let go. Your contemporaries are warm and filled with people everyone can identify with. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!