Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Birthday Bash-A Present for Readers by Paty Jager

First off, I'm delighted to have been asked to be part of this blog. I enjoy talking about writing, life, and my books and this will be a friendly, chatty place to do it.

This month is my birthday and readers are the ones receiving the present! From June 15th -30th the first book of my Spirit Trilogy, Spirit of the Mountain, will be available or $.99 in ebook format.

2012 Tamkaliks Celebration
The spirit trilogy is my book(s) or the heart. They are set among the Wallowa Nez Perce, a band of Indians that summered and wintered in the county where I grew up. During my childhood, we learned a little about the people how inhabited the valley before the Whiteman, but we only saw them during Chief Joseph Days when there was a rodeo, parade, and carnival. Today, the Wallowa band is purchasing land in the county and putting up interpretive centers. They hold a Friendship feast and powwow, or Tamkaliks(from where you can see the mountains) in July where they have dance contests, sell Native American crafts, and feast. It started as a gathering to bring the Wallowa band back to the county.

The spirit trilogy came to me after editors at a conference said they were looking for historical paranormal romance. I came up with the premise of Nez Perce spirits who traveled about as animals and could take the shape of humans when needed. The oldest is Himiin. He travels about the mountain as a white wolf keeping an eye over the Wallowa band. His brother, Wewukiye, prefers the form of a bull elk. Their younger sister watches over the tribe as a bald eagle. After hundreds of years of watching over the mortals, each one falls in love with a mortal and must face the consequences.

Here is the blurb and an excerpt for Spirit of the Mountain. You can learn more about all the book and the outlets to purchase the books at my website: www.patyjager.net 

A Nez Perce spirit angers the Creator and sacrifices everything to save the mortal maiden he loves.

Wren, the daughter of a Nimiipuu chief, has been fated to save her people ever since her vision quest. When a warrior from the enemy Blackleg tribe asks for her hand in marriage to bring peace between the tribes, her world is torn apart.

Himiin is the spirit of the mountain, custodian to all creatures including the Nimiipuu. As a white wolf he listens to Wren’s secret fears and loses his heart to the mortal maiden. Respecting her people’s beliefs, he cannot prevent her leaving the mountain with the Blackleg warrior.

When an evil spirit threatens Wren’s life, Himiin must leave the mountain to save her. But to leave the mountain means he’ll turn to smoke…

Excerpt
Wren’s eyes glistened with unshed tears. “My gift is to save The People. The weyekin who came to me in my vision quest said this.” She wrapped her arms around herself as if staving off a cold breeze.
Himiin hated that they argued when they should relish their time together. He moved to her, drawing her against his chest, embracing her. The shape of her body molded to his. Her curves pressed against him. Holding her this way flamed the need he’d tried to suppress.
He placed a hand under her chin, raising her face to his. The sorrow in her eyes tugged at his conscience. To make her leaving any harder was wrong. But having experienced her in his arms, he was grieved to let her go. Even for the sake of their people.
Her eyelids fluttered closed. Her pulse quickened under his fingers. Shrugging off the consequences, he lowered his lips to hers. They were softer than he imagined. Her breath hitched as he touched her intimately. Parting his lips, he touched her with his tongue, wanting to see if she tasted as sweet as she smelled.
Honey.
She tasted of sweet honey straight from the bosom of a bee tree.
One taste was not enough. He pulled her closer, moving his lips across hers, tasting and savoring the feel of them.
Her mouth opened and she sighed.
 His body came to life. The sensations transcended anything he’d experienced before. How could one woman make him feel powerful and vulnerable at the same time? Why did he wish to crush her to him and never let go and yet feel compelled to treat her with the tenderness
one would give the tiniest of creatures? He couldn’t continue this way.
To hold her, to touch her soft skin. He would never be able to let her go.
He must.
He released Wren and stepped back, avoiding her eyes. How could he show her the sensations she brought to him then turn around and tell her they couldn’t see one another any more?
“Himiin? Did I do something wrong?” The pain in her voice drew his gaze to her face.
The anguish and fear in her eyes cut through him like a knife.
“You did nothing wrong. It is I. I should not touch you so. It is wrong.” He took one step forward, before remembering he could not touch her and remain sane. “You are spoken for. We should not be together.”
She moved quickly, grasping his hand before he could pull away. “I could not bear to not have you to speak with these last days.” She stroked his hand. “Or to touch.” She placed his hand on her cheek. “I may never feel this touch from the Blackleg.” She kissed his palm. “I wish to have this to remember.”
He growled and pulled her into his arms. “I wish I were the one to touch you so, but I cannot. It is wrong.”
“Why?” She leaned back, studying his face. “I should be the one to say if it is wrong or not. It is my heart, my body. My life.”
“You belong to another. He has spoken.” Himiin released her and took a step back. He should not have shown himself to her as a man. Wewukiye was right.

It complicated things.

Set a reminder to yourself that this book will be on sale starting June 15th. Then enjoy my gift! 
Paty


20 comments:

  1. We live near the tribal home of the Monocans in south central Virginia. They, too, have built educational centers to showcase their crafts and educate others on their history. I loved your post today, Paty, and so enjoyed your excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonnie, Thank you. I think it is a wonderful thing for the tribes to set up interpretive centers. There are several generations that are curious about the people who were the conservators of this land before us.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Paty. Love the history in your books. Wonderful pic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Beth. Thank you! I had a great time at Tamkaliks last summer and hope to get there this summer. We'll see. my life isn't completely my own this year.

      Delete
  3. I love the cover. I got hooked on Native American stories and attended many pow-wows over the years.

    Melissa
    daringzoey@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. TWRP did a great job with this cover and all three in the trilogy. Powwows are fascinating. I love the music. I listened to cds with Native American music while writing these books.

      Delete
  4. Hey Paty, great historical information. I love Native American stories.

    Great job!

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geri,
      Thank you! I enjoy reading about the tribes and their cultures. Having it in fiction makes it even better!

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful book! Readers who haven't yet read this are lucky to get it for only 99 cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! Thank you! It is a good deal. I hope people will take a chance on the story at this low price.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful book and post. I am as fascinated by the Cherokee as you are the Nez Perce, but I also enjoy hearing about the Nez Perce. I know you have done so much research to insure these books follow Nez Perce beliefs. Lucky readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, We each like the tribe closest to us. I think it's from all the stories we've heard over the years. At least that was part of it for me. Hearing the stories of the antlered beast in Wallowa Lake always had me wondering about the people who started the myth/legend. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  7. Very nice post and excerpt
    I follow via email

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for dropping by, Lysette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paty, Lovely post and nice teaser excerpt. I'm looking forward to reading, Spirit of the Mountain. Happy Birthday this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carra, Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Paty! This is a big birthday month for our family, too. :)

    Your excerpt is terrific--best of luck with the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jacquie! Hope you found all the info you needed on your recent trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great excerpt. With 2 tribes in my ancestry -- Choctaw and Cherokee -- I'm always happy to see well-researched native American culture featured in books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Joan. I use all the resources I can find to make sure my books are correct. If you read the books I hope you let me know what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!