Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, June 10, 2023

My Life as a Grammar Cop by Bea Tifton

I have a confession to make, Dear Reader. I am a grammar cop.

I don’t correct people’s grammar out loud; that would be obnoxious and rude. But, yes, I am silently correcting grammar. I just can’t help it. When I watch the news, my behavior is like that of a crazed fan watching his favorite sports team mess up royally. “Did you really just say that?” “Was that a subject verb agreement mistake?” “Ohhhhhh!!!”

When I read advertisements or see billboards now, my teeth hurt, perhaps because I am grinding them.

I peruse Facebook and I want to yell, “Your, you’re all under arrest! 

Everyone stop there, they’re, their, typing and posting at once!”  I confess that sometimes I see really cute memes that I would love to post but I. Just. Can’t. because there are grammatical errors. I don’t want anyone to think I was the originator of the meme; I’d have to turn in my badge.

I hear people my age and older lament, “Oh, they (who are “they”, anyway?) just don’t teach grammar anymore.”  I was in education for 20 years, ten as a classroom teacher and ten as a school librarian. The thing is, we do. Grammar isn’t taught the same way as it was when I was in school, but it is taught. The trouble, I think, is that teachers, sadly, must teach to the standardized test in their state, and some of the cramming results in short term knowledge that is not absorbed and used in everyday life.



I was the kid who loved diagramming sentences. I was good at it and it made sense to me. Math, not so much on both counts. (Ha!  See what I did there?)

I know that language is not static. It’s constantly changing and evolving to reflect society. Grammar rules are being relaxed. Some things are not stressed at all anymore. I don’t want to be a curmudgeon as I age, so I know I need to relax as well. But I’m going to be grammatically correct while I do it.

 


 

Do you notice bad grammar? Does it bother you? 



Pexels Photo Credits: 
Kindel Media "A Policeman Wearing Dark Sunglasses"
Polina Zimmerman "Photo of Woman Using Laptop"
Dids "Woman Writing on Green Chalkboard"
Marcus Aurelius "Woman Holding Her Smartphone While Smiling at the Camera"


 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. I find myself going back and checking to be sure I've said something right, because, as you said, language isn't static. That being said, I still can't accept alright. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People misusing “I” drive me bonkers. Sometimes it is just “me.” That’s not “for Brad and I,” that’s “for Brad and me.” And for the love of all that’s holy, a coworker said, “Stephen and I’s vacation is coming up.” OMG NO. I has a possessive form. It’s my or mine. Omg whyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can't believe someone doesn't hear it when they say something like that.

      Delete
  3. Poor grammar makes a bad impression. I know a woman who was a whiz at her job and couldn't understand why she wasn't promoted. The next step up would be working with potential customers, and her grammar was hideous. She didn't see the need to change. She retired without ever making that next step up. What really bothers me is when possessive case is misused in advertising. There used to be a billboard on Interstate 30 that included "Our's". My dad said people judge you by your speech. I believe he was correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was. Yes, possessive case is so misused now. Ugh!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!