Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, June 3, 2023

JUNE IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER!

 By Caroline Clemmons

We re-watched the musical "Oklahoma" last night. Now I keep singing (to myself because I'm a terrible singer) "June is bustin' out all over..." I love that song. Actually, I love all the songs in that movie. The voices of Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones blended beautifully. (You have to love Ado Annie's two songs, "I Cain't Say No" and "All or Nothin'.")

I have a few questions for the producers, though. Why did they cast Eddie Albert as the Arab peddler, Ali Hakim? Were there no dark-haired men available who could act? I loved Eddie Albert as an actor, especially in his television series "Green Acres," but he was too old and too white to play the part of the Persian peddler. He must have had a terrific agent.

Peace Rose

I digressed. June IS busting out all over. I don't care for hot weather, but I do love flowers. We have beautiful roses this year. Roses are my favorite flower. We don't really have a good place for them, but Hero found space for three: Peace, Pink Fragrance, and Mr. Lincoln. It's true that little things mean a lot. I appreciate him managing to dig the flower bed, edge it with bricks, plant the roses, and keep them lovely. When you consider he has advanced Parkinson's, you can understand how hard this was for him. See why I call him Hero?

Mr. Lincoln Rose


Pink Fragrance Rose


The bad part of June is the insects. In spite of the fact that we have barley rings in the bird baths, I have mosquito bites. I'm serious when I say if there's one anywhere within a block of me, the little creature will pass by others to find me. Perhaps A- blood type is a favorite dessert for mosquitoes. Grumble, grumble. We are trying to attract bees and butterflies. Hero planted a dozen butterfly bushes.



I enjoy our neighborhood. The other houses on our block have neat lawns--at least the ones I can see easily. I enjoy looking at all the trees, shrubbery, grass, and flowers. Nothing here is as spectacular as Beth Trissel's gardens, but she is unique. I'll wager some of you also have lovely flowers in bloom. Put a photo in the comments if you can. If not, tell me your favorite flower. As I said above, mine is a rose.

Geranium in a hanging basket


Stay safe and keep reading!

4 comments:

  1. I have been trying to grow more flowers and herbs- I really have to step up my game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been gardening all of May and I think we only have another week of hard work to do. I hope. I'm getting cabin fever and I'm ready to roll. LOL I really would love to see your beautiful roses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite flower is also the rose. But here in Pennsylvania, I've never been able to keep them alive through our brutal winters. I do have hearty rag roses from the early 1800s that I transplanted from our dairy farm in Northeast PA. The smell of roses is so soft, delicate, and lingering. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!