Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Tuesday, June 20, 2023

A Day in June by Liz Flaherty

My mind is on the mushy side today. It happens a lot these days, but especially when I try to crowd more events and thoughts and things-to-do lists into it. So I think I'll meander. I hope you come on along.

My grandpa Neterer died in June. He was what everyone's grandfather should be. Kind, gentle, funny, and so full of stories about a life well lived that I could never get enough of hearing them. He'd grown up a farm boy, although he worked his whole adult life at what had once been Buescher Band and went through several names during his tenure there. But even as Elkhart, Indiana grew up around the home he shared with my grandmother, Grandpa still went barefoot and wore overalls when he was at home. They had city water, but they also had the hand pump in the yard, where he and the grandkids went to drink from the well. 

I was only 13 when he died, but I was able to save up a lot of memories from those years. 

Our county fair is in June. I was there yesterday, helping to sign in adult projects. The fair used to be in August, but since it managed to storm every year in addition to being punishingly hot, it eventually moved back to June. It's often still wet and hot, but inspiring to see the kids with their animals and their projects. They learn so much in 4-H, and they have a good time.

I'm doing revisions right now, on a Christmas Town novella and on a book I've finished. I always worry during revisions--Is this what they want? Is it still my story? Seriously--they want that?--and yet there's an adrenaline rush that goes along with them, too. The thought that the story will be better when I'm done, because usually it is. 

Our youngest grandson is here this week. He's 13, the age I was when my grandfather died, when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan, when boys started looking really different and I put makeup on when I was on the school bus because I wasn't allowed to wear it. So many changes that year, and I can see changes in our grandboy, too. He's fun and funny and smart. Grandpa Neterer would have loved him like we do. 

Three birds are hanging on one suet feeder while a woodpecker keeps the other one to himself. I used to be amazed that my mother-in-law could spend so much time watching birds. Now, in my much bigger yard, I watch birds, deer, rabbits, and squirrels, and I understand Mom a lot better. 


In A Soft Place to Fall, Early and Nash and Nash's dad, Ben, sometimes sat on the porch. I imagine they were watching and listening, too. Some books are special. You love them more. This is one of those for me. 

Thanks for going along on my meander. 




10 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this, made me feel warm and fuzzy. Judy Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand a lot of things about my grandparents I didn’t quite understand at 13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the loss happens at 13, some things just freeze in time, though. He was my hero. Still is.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely trail of thoughts! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! One of these days, I'm going to meander and get myself lost. :-)

      Delete
  4. So many precious thoughts and memories. Just today, I posted on my FB a memory of my grandson at that age, when he used to come see me in the Summers. He's 20 now and I don't see him often anymore. Time passes too fast! Thank you for letting us follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! It's something we were all warned about, that swift passage of time, but you don't quite get it until it's happening.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the lovely trip through some of your memories, many of which are similar to mine. I wish so much I had known the questions to ask when I was young and my maternal grandmother and her brother were alive. My paternal grandparents had passed away before I was born, as had my maternal grandfather. I loved listening to my grandmother and her eldest brother when they reminisced. Wish I'd written down some of those stories. My dad, who was decades older than my mom, told great stories. I loved listening to him talk about the "old" days. I hope you'll meander again next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. The memories are precious, aren't they?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!