Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, February 4, 2023

Have You Tried AI? Plus Food, Cables, & Musings by @JacquieRogers

 

 

 Have You Tried AI?

Plus Food, Pulling Cable, & Musings

Okay, so I'm obsessed--what else is new.  (Don't answer that.)  I've been fooling around with AI because, and here's my very well thought-out reasoning, AI would be exceedingly useful for book promotion.   (And it's something new and shiny, but I'm not going to own up to being so easily distracted, so put that thought out of your pretty head.)

One of the things you can do is make a video from a blog post, so of course I had to give that a try.


Here's the actual post: Holiday Season Already! 
To be honest, I don't think bloggers need to worry about being replaced anytime soon.  Even so, it's a wonder that it came so close.  This was done in steve.ai.

Next I tried a promo type video in canva.com.  You just tell canva what you want and it creates a slideshow for you.  I said, "Blonde woman on a black mule set in the Old West."  Here's how that turned out:


So how about fantasy?  Aurora Valentine is also a blonde.  My instructions were, "Blonde fairy riding a red dragon."  Canva never did get this one correct but not bad--and some of the pictures are better than the ones I paid for on dreamstime and depositphoto.  So here are the results of the Aurora's Treasure promo video:


I don't think it's ready for prime time yet.

Why women live longer than men.
Other Ways To Get in Trouble

Mr R and I have spent the last 3 weeks pulling data cable.  Yes, we've lived in this house four years but he never did get around to doing the permanent wiring.  I've been connected to the server by a cable strung from light fixture to light fixture down the hall and into the spare room, then into the server room.  It wasn't pretty but it worked.  Now we're all wired in, but the price was dear.  I have bruises all over my hands and arms.  Mr R knocked off several hunks of skin and it'll take a while for his wounds to recover.

(I don't know why Blogger isn't putting any space around the photo--that's above my pay grade.)

We pulled wire from the floor of the server room, under the house, to the corner of the garage where you see Mr R now.  From there, the wire goes up the wall to the attic and over to the outside wall, then down that wall to his computer.

To be honest, we should hire this work done, but there are two problems.  The first is that our area's real estate is HOT and there are no contractors that do small jobs in a reasonable time frame.  The second is that no one can do anything that meets Mr R's notion of how things ought to go.  So...we pull cable, scooting around in the crawl space and in the attic--both places particularly desirable to spiders.

Now for some bad news.  The jewelry store, Norman Jewelers in Caldwell, where Dad bought Mom's wedding ring set has closed.  Three generations worked there, and I guess there's no one to take over and it's time for the current owner to retire.  Sad to see.  But the good news is that Mr R bought a ring for my Christmas present.  It had to be resized, of course, so we're picking it up tomorrow.  From then on, no more Norman Jewelers.

That's me standing in an empty jewelry store, and my ring on the right.

Naturally, Walter has been asserting his rights as head of the household.

Walter the Bed Hog

Happy Valentine's Day and I hope you get books--they last a lot longer than chocolate and you can enjoy them several times over. ☺


Until next month, Happy Reading!



If you're on TikTok, friend me!  My handle is @jacquierogersbooks.  
You can get videos of Honey Beaulieu and Sassy's latest updates there.  And goofy videos of her scribe.  Heck, we even do a few cooking videos.

6 comments:

  1. I really like your videos. Makes me feel kind of...lazy...for not being more curious. Also liked your story of pulling wire. That has been done here numerous times. Things look (and work) better, but oh, the price... The ring's beautiful. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I feel a bit overwhelmed with AI, actually, and it's not as easy as advertised. I can do without pulling wire for a while--believe me, I've met my quota for 2023. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with the videos. Funny thing, we were just talking about AI at lunch today with several of us writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With what little instruction I gave, the videos came out better than expected, for sure. AI will be the discussion in many writer gatherings, I bet. We're all begging for tools to help with promotion so we can spend time writing instead of creating publicity and marketing materials. I know for sure that any ad copy generated will take a hefty dose of editing, but AI is good for suggestions we might not have thought of right off the bat.

      Delete
  3. I just had a conversation with some teachers who believe that Al will be the death of creativity. Already, they've seen the deterioration of grammar and spelling because of all the shortcuts and messaging on electronic devices. And, schools will have to shell out money for software to detect Al in students' compositions. I'm still up in the air about the entire process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of downsides to AI, for sure, but IMHO it's here to stay so we might as well figure out how we can benefit from its use. However, I'm really glad I'm not a teacher right now.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!