Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Voices In My Head by Laura Hunsaker

 I was at the day job the other day and someone asked me why I stay up so late writing. The short answer is that it's the only time I have to myself where I'm not taking someone somewhere, playing with anyone, cooking, working, cleaning, doing laundry...I'm sure you get the picture. It's the only time I'm not "momming." So I write until midnight and get up at 5:45 every work day. I'm okay with that.

But my friend asked if I could just write on weekends, or breaks, and I said that I have to write. The stories are all up in my brain fighting to get out. My brain is a pretty interesting and busy place. I have to write to get the stories out, to get the characters' voices to hush. 

She looked at me aghast. 

Is that really that odd? To have multiple stories going on inside the ol' brain? Just me?

So when I got home from work I asked my eldest if it was weird and she said not to her, but that some people don't "hear" anything in the head. I didn't quite understand that so she sent me an interesting link. There are people out there who can't picture things in their mind's eye, and people who can't hear thoughts in their head. I can't imagine having such a quiet mind, but as we've established, mine is quite noisy, so I'm probably not the best judge.

So I bring this to you all: Do you, like me, have a constant inner monologue? Can you visualize stories as you read them as if they are a movie playing inside your head? I'm really curious!

If you want to check out what those character voices are like, my story Highlander Reborn is on sale for $.99 right now across all platforms.


Highlander Reborn begins in Scotland, many centuries ago, where a blacksmith fights for his life and his people. His life is forever changed when Amalia, one of the Nightkind, makes the choice to save his life. But first, he has to die...

1304…

After Nevin MacLachlan’s wife was killed by a vampire, he made it his mission to hunt them all down. But one late Highland night, in a battle he couldn’t win, one of the Nightkind ripped open his throat. With his blood draining onto the grass, the last thing Nevin sees isn’t a white light; it’s the dark of night closing in on him.

Amalia has been enamored with the blacksmith ever since he first held a stake to her heart. Watching him die was unacceptable. Will he ever forgive her for turning him into what he hates most?

Nevin has lived his life alone for a reason. When Amalia walks back into his life seven centuries later asking for help, he wants nothing more but to turn his back to her. But something about her still calls to him.

Some of the Nightkind in Amalia’s seethe have been killed. It’s up to her to find Nevin and ask for his help. But how can she show Nevin that she isn’t the monster he thinks she is?



5 comments:

  1. I also heard that there are people who don't hear thoughts--or create ideas-- inside their heads. My mind does not stop working/processing. Sometimes I think it's like a locomotive (maybe "loco-motive") chugging along on an endless track. I am thankful for sleep. And often, I hope I don't dream so I'm not chugging along day and night. "Highlander Reborn" sounds like a winner. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do you dream about your WIPs? I don't, but my dreams are usually pretty busy...like my mind I guess lol

      Delete
  2. Like you, I have a busy mind and, like you, I assumed everyone did. I remember getting up at 3:00 AM to write for an hour before being at work at 5:15. It horrifies me now, because I no longer have the energy I had to have then, but it was also the most productive time of every day. I loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I can't imagine getting up that early! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. An inner voice? Just one? I am ADHD and so I totally get it. I have been offered solutions to stop it, but I like it and get stuff done. How else does one have a day job, a sewing business and tackle a household and still find time to write and spend with family. Sleep is totally overrated. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!