Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, August 18, 2022

The Ride Home by Liz Flaherty

One of the first articles I ever sold as a new writer was an article on the value of the ride home from work. I don't remember the title of the article or the examples used in it, but I do remember how important that 28 miles was in so many different areas of my life. Just lately, as I began doing battle with the last 10,000 words of my work-in-progress, I was reminded about the ride home. 

Summer of Sorrow and Dance is not a book that has come easily--although not very many of them do, do they?--and I'm so ready for it to be done. There's another one on the back burner whose flame is brighter, hotter, and looks like more fun. 

It used to be that 10K words was a week or so...maybe 10 days if the words were being argumentative or sticking in the keyboard's throat. It's not that way anymore, and I know I've got some time to put into Dinah's story before she's ready to finish telling it to me. But sometimes 10,000 words might as well be 100,000. They are just stuck. The black moment is meh, such a light gray it doesn't even show up on the planning wall. The plot point I want in Chapter Twelve should have been foreshadowed in Chapter Three and Chapter Seven, the conflict is laughable, and I have twice as many characters as I should. 

This is not a repeat blog post, by the way; however, I do still whine about the same things as I crawl through the last few chapters of every book. I also use the words I hate this book! complete with the exclamation point numerous times. I wonder whatever made me think I could be a writer. I must have been insane.

It's not true. I love the book. I love Dinah and Zach and the five children they have between them. I love Fallen Soldier, Pennsylvania, and Cooper Lake, which forms its edge before you get to the mountain road. I love that Captain Jason Benteen, a Vietnam vet, shows up in each of the three books in the Second Chances series. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2HWVPZ2?ref_=dbs_p_mng_rwt_ser_shvlr&storeType=ebooks

Last night, as I drove home from a writers' group meeting, I thought about the last 10,000 words and about Dinah and Zach, seeing them my mind's eye. I thought about how they've come to know each other, how one of them will sense the other's pain and the other is reluctant to accept help. I thought about the grief one of them is suffering and suffered it myself. 

What a gift to a writer the ride home is. While I didn't get home with the whole last 10K planned out, I filled in some gaps, found an aha moment or two, and darkened the gray of that culminating moment up a bit. I figured out how to tie up a few strings while leaving a few others fluttering a bit. Just in case I want to go back to Fallen Soldier sometime. I'll give that some thought later, on another ride home. 




12 comments:

  1. I read Reinventing Riley and found it hard to put down. The writing flows well, and I found myself reading long past time to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how we write all the time in our heads? On the drive home, on the drive there... while swimming in the lake or floating along in the boat or walking in the 'hood or on a trail...even in the grocery store! I'm grateful for your writer brain that keeps creating even as you're doubting your own creativity. Keep on, baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we're doing these days...keeping on! Thanks, Nan.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your blog and felt like you could have been describing lots of my experiences! I used to have a nice, long drive home from work. I did a lot of planning and plot 'straightening' during those times. And I had to smile and nod at your second guessing during the 'drive home' of your stories. YES!!Met too. LOL. But you'll get there and the book will be as delightful as always! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that writers share so many things! Thank you, Barb!

      Delete
  4. I always need to rush into the house after a long drive home to write down all the scenes that played along the way. I often don't have any music on and "write" for miles and miles in silence. If my husband asks me something, he gets a muttered reply as he pulls me out of my brain-writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I listen to audio books, and sometimes I have to turn them off to stop myself from trying to channel Robyn Carr!

      Delete
  5. A quiet car ride can help resolve a lot of issues. Cheers to the next fabulous 10k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It can resolve issues. My husband and I have had some one-voice fights in the car that took care of things before they became big.

      Delete
  6. Seems like I have always had a commute- going to college and going to work. In less populated areas it is like zen but this traffic is a whole new experience- I have my book almost there... 55K words. I have a bright and shiny one calling too... but this one will not finish itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they won't do that, will they? And sometimes it would be nice...

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!