Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Tuesday, June 28, 2022

No Two Days In the Garden Are The Same

(Spring blooming old English rose)


'Flowers really do intoxicate me.' ~Vita Sackville-West

The garden, in its magical wonder, constantly and continuously changes. So quickly the hours flow into days, then weeks, and months. Seasons pass. From the first cheery crocus spangling the dreary February landscape to the cherished chrysanthemums hailing a brilliant autumn, a succession of flowers take center stage to enchant, then fade, their time spent. If I've planned correctly, new blooms will appear in their place, and I won't have gaps. A short while ago, the roses were magnificent, and I reveled in their silken blossoms, white and peachy-pink petals fluttering to the ground like snowflakes in the breeze. Now that first long-awaited flush is past and only a few plants are left in bloom. The roses will revive for another riotous color fest, but the despised Japanese beetles are arriving and will plague the plants and me for weeks to come. Any gardener not suffering this scourge should rejoice daily. 

(Climbing Ballerina Rose)


During the dratted beetle season, I look to the lilies for glory, and they do not disappoint. The oriental lilies scent the garden with sweet perfume and tree lilies stretch to amazing heights. I'm lily mad and forever planting new bulbs. They're rather like Easter eggs, in that I hide them and await discovery, particularly as I often forget what kind I planted and where they were tucked. Plus, one of the online bulb companies sent me potluck instead of what I thought I'd ordered. Adds to the surprise, I suppose. I really must pay more attention to who sent what if I want to complain, but I know I didn't order knee-high yellow lilies. Not that they aren't pretty, but not what I intended. A whole lot like life. 

I do what I usually do, forge ahead and try again. 


(Forever Susan Lily)


I did nothing but comfort my plants, till now their small green cheeks are covered with smiles. ~Emily Dickinson, 1865


(Gaillardia with bee on it)


(Bee balm with bumble bee)


The bees are summer-busy every sunny afternoon... ~Hal Borland


(Cream Veranda Rose)


(Fragrant Tree Lily)


Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers, where I can walk undisturbed... ~Walt Whitman


(Oriental Lily)

Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden. ~Robert Brault, rbrault.blogspot.com



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your pictures. My black thumb and my beauty-loving heart both appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love to see your beautiful pictures of your various flowers. My heart is jealous of your green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your thumb will take on a green hue. 😊

      Delete
  3. Beth, I love your beautiful photos and your entire post. I'm grateful to God that you are feeling well enough to post. I keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carolyn. (Beth)

      Delete
  4. LOVE the pictures. It must be wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty—a feast for the eys and the nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it’s heavenly. Thanks Joan. (Beth)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post and pictures as always. I was really in the mood to add more flowers to my flowerbeds this spring. Flowers make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giddy with joy. Thanks 😊

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!