Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Tuesday, June 1, 2021

JUNE IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER!

By Caroline Clemmons

Welcome June! Here in North Central Texas, we’re having an unusual amount of rain. I love it, but admit it makes me want to curl up with a good book instead of being productive.

Hero has been setting out plants while I supervise. Right now, we have to wait until some of the rain dries enough that he won’t sink to his ankles. Okay, it’s not that muddy, but it is a little too wet to dig in the flower beds. We’ve used the time to discuss and come to decisions about what to plant where. Do you have problem areas in your lawn?

We grew up in West Texas where trees and even lawns were not evident. My family liked to go for a Sunday afternoon drive through the countryside. There were many homes that had no trees and no lawn. The dirt around the house was packed hard. In a rainy time, the residents parked at the road and walked through the mud to get to the house. Otherwise, a person risked getting the vehicle stuck.

This reminds me of a story my mother-in-law told me about being in her late teens/early twenties. If there was a party in bad weather, the guests carried their good shoes and walked to the house from the paved or gravel road. If people only had one pair of shoes, they walked barefoot. Men rolled up their trouser’s legs. At the front porch would be a large washtub of water and towels. Guests would wash their feet and dry them, then go inside and put on their stockings/socks and shoes for the party. I wonder how often they changed the water.

Before leaving, guests changed shoes again for the walk to the car. People lined the floorboard with newspaper so they could easily clean the car. I know I write mostly historical titles, but I’m so happy I don’t have some of the historic problems! I wonder what people of the future will think of us in fifty or a hundred years.  

If you long to curl up with a book, I have the solution. Currently, my book STUART, Bachelors & Babies is on sale for 99 cents. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084GFPRGL

ADELINE, Cupids & Cowboys book 10, was released yesterday. Adeline “Addie” McGee is the baby Stuart McGee rescued. She’s almost fourteen now and feels quite grown. Addie and her best friend, Nancy, decide to play Cupid to their teacher, Violet Evanston, and Nancy’s cousin, Clark Abernathy. The girls’ good intentions create havoc and humor. If you want to investigate, the book is available at Amazon and is also in Kindle Unlimited. https://www.amzn.com/B091YYGPLV

I hope June brings you all the promise of its reputation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK49qrwIzw 



3 comments:

  1. Wow, two books! A treat for us for sure.
    I hope you're feeling well these days, and of course I'm delighted that you're writing. You're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Stuart! I read it in February by flashlight during out ice storm- Was the perfect book to warm me and my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, it's fascinating how people used to be so careful to protect their belongings--from shoes to the car floor. Now, everything is sadly disposable, and we tend to be careless and a throw-away society.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!