Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, June 20, 2024

How it begins by Liz Flaherty

Although I try not to make posts on this blog into look at me! sessions, the truth is I have a new book releasing in 10 days and pretty much everything I write or say has to do with that. 

Including my post today. If you've read or seen any of this before--say several times in the past weeks--I apologize. I will also admit I am so thrilled with this book, its cover, and my new publisher, AnnessaInk Publishing. 

Pieces of Blue will release on July 1 in ebook, print, and large-print editions, although it's up for pre-order now. Let me stick the buy links in here before I forget. 

Books2Read: https://books2read.com/FlahertyBlue

Amazon: https://a.co/d/eyEjPDA

Writing Maggie's story started out like any other book. That is to say, slow and bumpy and with absolutely no sense of direction.

I had the first line.

That was all I had.

I was at a what now stage in my writing career. I didn’t want to throw in the towel, but I wasn’t getting anywhere in the industry I loved, either. Everything had changed faster than I could begin to keep up with it, I couldn’t write fast anymore, my memory was…a mess.

However, I could…and can…still whine with the best of them.

And there was this line that sat at the top of a blank page for a long time.

Trilby died.

After a few months, I typed Chapter 1 above that line. Made the page look better. Didn’t make me feel all that much better, but appearances do help.

I had some rejections, a few books that weren’t selling well, my writing life was just kind of…meh. We all have times like that, right?

But then I typed a few more lines…and then a few more pages…and somehow in there, the story of Maggie Wallace North and Pieces of Blue became a labor of love.

I hope you love it, too.



8 comments:

  1. I got to read an ARC and I fell in love with Maggie North and Sam and the lake people and even Chloe the dog! This is you at your best, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Nan. I hope other readers agree with you!

      Delete
  2. That ruminating-- and whining? -- paid off. I'm not done reading the ARC, but my goal is to get out a review before launch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the beginning and I'm sure what follows is equally golden! What talent you have! Best wishes for this newest addition to your book family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm excited about this one. Of course, I always am, but this one is just...special somehow.

      Delete
  4. Love this Liz! I have a book started with 27K word- and I am just not motivated- You inspire me! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri! I'm in a slump now, too--happens with every book, I think--and I'm just making sure I get 100 words a day until I'm "back." Good luck!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!