This blog post will not be fancy, that's for sure, but at least I could get it posted (I hope). You see, we had a windstorm five days ago and it knocked over the tower that feeds us internet service. Normally, our provider has solid service and if there's a glitch, we're back online within minutes--maybe an hour but no more than that. But this time...five days, and it doesn't look like we're going to get service until Monday morning.
After four days, I finally figured out I could tether my computer to my phone and get internet using T-Mobile. It's slower than snail poop but at least I could get online. So here I am, typing away, definitely not taking the risk of posting the photos I took earlier in the month. Or finishing the Valentine's Day video. Or anything else. It's text only, just like the days of PC Anywhere. (I'm really showing my age there--I bet very few people even know what PC Anywhere is.)
I'm not saying that I'm utterly dependent on the internet but:
- I can't access any of my story notes because they're all on OneNote. And by notes, I mean character development, conflict, plot, what I've already done and rejected, and anything else you can think of.
- Even if I could get to my notes, I can't access my file! For some reason, our new fileserver isn't working, either, and it's not on the cloud. What's with that???
- No internet research, and there was snow on the ground until yesterday so heading to the local museum wasn't an option.
- Doodly doesn't work, which is how I send Valentine's greetings. Oh well, there's still time.
- Sure can't upload YouTube of TikTok videos.
- No email, of course. Mr R is having DTs over that little issue.
- Can't order online. OMG, and lots of things I need for the greenhouse aren't in stock at local stores yet.
- I've had a bazillion questions that I'd like answered. No Google.
- We get the local newspaper but the news is two days old. That's just not how it's supposed to be in 2024.
- No YouTube cooking shows. No looking up recipes, not even my own.
- Can't plan our trip to Texas in March, which we wanted to finalize so I can make reservations.
- Also, can't make reservations online.
- Can't buy books for my Kindle. (faint) Luckily, I have hundreds of books already, but still...
- No Facebook, TikTok, X, Threads, Snapchat. Wait, that's a plus. I was amazed at what a timesuck social media is. Ahem.
Stay safe, and until next month, Happy Reading. 📚😍