Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, April 23, 2023

FIDDLING WITH FIDDLEHEADS

                                                by Judy Ann Davis

                     "Spring unlocks the flowers to paint the laughing soil.”
                                         --Bishop Reginald Heber

I’m a fan of flowers and ferns.

But to be honest, I find ferns fascinating. There is something delicate and eye-catching about these ornamental plants. Every April, fiddleheads start popping through the spring earth. I can almost see them growing before my eyes as they emerge from the flowerbeds around our house. 

I also purchase five pots of ferns every year to hang from hooks around the perimeter of our covered patio to brighten the area and make it cozy and relaxing. It has become a summer ritual as soon as we drag out the outdoor patio furniture from winter storage.

Ferns are a native plant of Pennsylvania which means they occurred in this region before settlement by Europeans. They are part of a group of species of vascular plants which reproduce via spores and have neither seeds nor flowers, only stems and leaves.

It’s believed the first ferns appeared in fossil records 360 million years ago in the Devonian period, but many of the current species didn’t appear until roughly 145 million years ago in the early Cretaceous period, after flowering plants came to dominate many environments. Throughout history, ferns have been popular in medicine, art, mythology, landscaping, flower design, human consumption, and more.

When the first frost alarm sounds in our area, I’ve tried to bring the now huge, lofty-looking plants into the house to keep over winter. I’m not afraid to admit I’m a failure. The plants don’t adapt to—or just don’t like—the climate in our house.  So, I learned to be content with just enjoying them spring, summer, and fall.

I’m highlighting an older book this month. Key to Love is full of humor, sibling relationships, romance, suspense, and even features a restored Bandit Trans Am, an animal-cracker-eating little boy, and a sweet Dalmatian.

BLURB:

When architect Elise Springer's father is injured, she immediately leaves San Francisco to care for him. The last person she expects to encounter in her Pennsylvania hometown is her childhood friend Lucas Fisher. Lucas is investigating his brother's mysterious death, and Elise can't resist lending a hand.

Lucas longs for the close family ties he never had. He's back in Scranton to set up a classic car restoration business and build a future. The torch he carries for Elise burns brighter than ever, but before he can declare his love, he must obtain the legal rights to adopt his nephew--and prove his brother's death was no accident.

As they unearth clues to find the murderer and a missing stash of money, Elise faces a dilemma. Is her career on the West Coast the key to her happiness, or is it an animal-cracker-eating four-year-old and his handsome uncle instead? 

KEY TO LOVE

Key to Love by [Judy Ann Davis]


4 comments:

  1. I love ferns. I hang them on the front porch and actually keep them alive all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing, Judy. I wish I could grow ferns. My daughter is succeeding, so I can enjoy her efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in East Texas with fertile soil, I grew ferns, or should I say, ferns grew at my house. As you said, they just pop up and I loved them. Now that I live in the city, I have sand which isn't conducive to to growing much of anything except sand burrs. I love the premise to your story; I always love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I love ferns, too. They're so graceful and tranquil. I tried to save ours by keeping it in the bathroom this winter, and ours died, too. But the first thing I purchased for spring planting was another hanging fern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!