Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, April 5, 2023

How to use AI in your writing ~Sherri Easley

 One key to my success in Corporate American is my willingness to learn new skills and stay current in technology, so when AI appeared earlier this year, I was an early adopter.

The key to using AI is to be very specific with your questions and understand that it pulls data from the web, so occasionally it is incorrect.

In the spirit of showing you the power of AI, I asked my favorite AI App to write my blog today.

My app: ChatGTP

My ask: Write me a blog about how I can use ChatGTP for writing novels

Here is the unedited response:

As a writer, you may have heard of ChatGPT, a large language model trained by OpenAI that uses natural language processing to generate human-like text. While ChatGPT can be used for a variety of tasks, from answering questions to generating creative writing prompts, it can also be a valuable tool for novel writing. Here are some ways you can use ChatGPT to enhance your writing process:

Generate ideas and inspiration

If you're struggling to come up with a plot or a character, you can use ChatGPT to generate ideas and inspiration. Simply input a prompt, such as "What if a woman discovers she has the power to time travel?" and ChatGPT will generate a response that could spark your imagination. While not every prompt generated by ChatGPT will be useful, it can be a helpful tool to get your creative juices flowing.

Overcome writer's block

If you're stuck on a particular scene or chapter, you can use ChatGPT to help you overcome writer's block. Input a description of the scene or the problem you're having, and ChatGPT will generate suggestions or ideas to help you move forward. This can be a helpful way to break through a mental block and get back into the flow of writing.

Get feedback on your writing

ChatGPT can also be used to get feedback on your writing. If you're unsure about a particular sentence or paragraph, input it into ChatGPT and see how it responds. While ChatGPT is not a substitute for human feedback, it can be a useful tool to help you identify areas where your writing could be improved.

Generate dialogue

If you're struggling to come up with dialogue for your characters, ChatGPT can be a helpful resource. Input a prompt, such as "What would this character say in this situation?" and ChatGPT will generate a response that could help you craft natural and engaging dialogue.

Research information

ChatGPT can also be a useful tool for research. If you're writing a historical novel, for example, you can input a question about a particular time period or event and ChatGPT will generate a response that could provide valuable information for your writing.

While ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for novel writing, it's important to remember that it is not a substitute for human creativity and intuition. Use it as a tool to enhance your writing process, but don't rely on it entirely. By combining your own creative instincts with the power of ChatGPT, you can write engaging and compelling novels that capture readers' imaginations.


There you have it, folks! I have used it so far more for my day job, but it has been useful in helping with character names, and book titles, and is especially helpful for the research on the book I am writing now. I can ask it things like: What was a college near the Boston Municipal Airport in 1942 and it tells me!

Check it out and don’t hesitate to ping me if you have questions or need help to get started.

2 comments:

  1. I can't say I have positive feelings about AI, but it's interesting to hear from someone who does. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly understand your feelings. I was a little deflated when I first realized the potential impacts to the industry. I feel like AI technology will water down the creativity and soul of writing and music. It will be a nightmare for education, as no one will write their own papers anymore, but I do think it has value in research and idea generation and since it is here to stay, I may as well embrace it. As always, I value your comments.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!