Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, April 14, 2022

What's in a Name by Bea Tifton

I met a woman at church the other day. She was new to my Sunday school class, so I introduced myself.

“Bee? As in Busy Bee?”

“No, B-e-a as in Beatrice.”

“Oh. Bee uh.” Slight emphasis on the “uh” followed by a smile that didn’t meet her eyes and a slight simper.

I couldn’t help but think the rather uncharitable thought, “Right. Because I’m likely to mispronounce my own name when I introduce myself.  Abort! Abort!” as I smiled and turned back around in my seat.

 My nickname is Bea. It might as well be my given name because people have been calling me that for decades now.  I’m amazed at how difficult it is for people. I have to spell it many times, especially for younger people. Sometimes as I say, “Bea. B-e-a,” I get people who try to spell it Bbea. Or pronounce it bae, which is a slang word that wasn’t even in existence when I entered the world. And there’s the understandable, “Bee.” I can deal with that but I must admit that I HATE the “Busy Bee” quips. (People have actually buzzed at me.) Nor will comparing me to Aunt Bee of Mayberry fame endear me to you instantly.



My father has such an unusual name that he has to spell it wherever he goes. As a small child, I thought spelling it was actually part of his name.  

When I was a teacher, I tried to learn the student’s names as soon as I got my class list, and when school started, I made it a point to learn the correct pronunciation, any desired family nicknames, and which name went to which child. Because names are important. They become part of our identity, offering glimpses into our personality. A 45 year old man named “Ricky” suggests a different personality than someone who always goes by the name, “Richard.” In  books, these nuances can be important to establishing characters.














So as you navigate the world, think about the names you hear. Pay attention to what people are called in the books you read and reflect on whether it’s significant to the plot. What about your name? Do you like it? Hate it? Or have to spell it?



 Photo Credits: 

Woman in Blue: RODNAE Productions

Man in Shorts: SHVETS production

Man in Suit: Teddy Joseph

Books: Pixabay

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Spelling our last name is automatic--F as in Frank l-a- etc. My husband's name is Duane, and it didn't take long for him to stop answering to Diane in elementary school! Likewise, my daughter-in-law Tahne doesn't answer to Thane, either. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly sounds as though you and your family feel my pain. Lol. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I always wanted a cute nickname. One summer when we were about 15, my cousin Sandra and I decided we'd invent our own nicknames. She was to be Sandy and I was to be Dee Dee from my middle name of DeeAnn. We were the only ones who used our nicknames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. Maybe you just gave up too soon. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I spent my early life and college years saying "Lashinski" - "That's with an "i"-not with a "y." So when I married a DAVIS, I thought I had the world by the tail. Now I get: Davie, Davies, Davidson, David, and the list goes on. I really doesn't bother me. It's all part of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. But I wouldn't have thought Davis would give people so much trouble. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Bea, I feel your pain. All the way through school, teachers would see my name JOAN and call out, JO ANN. You would think teachers knew the difference between Joan and Joanne/JoAnn/JoAnne, but no! Then I went to live in Japan and learned that Asian peoples do not have the sound of my name in their language base—not the J sound or the one syllable JOAN sound. Therefore, I understand how difficult it is for the Vietnamese I meet (and there are many in Houston) who did not live in this country in their youth to pronounce or remember my name which is odd to their tongue and their ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I don't mind if the Hispanic speakers pronounce my name as Bay uh. That's different than people just making fun. Goodness, I wouldn't have thought Joan would give teachers trouble, either. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!