Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Things of Fascination by Liz Flaherty

I'm sitting here before the sun is completely up watching the skeletal cottonwood tree against the western sky. That's beauty enough--I love trees in any incarnation--but squirrels are running up and down the the heavy branches, leaping across the expanse between the widespread of the Y-forked trunk. I'm not sure how long I've been watching them, but I am wholly fascinated. 



The Christmas tree sits where it has sat for years. The lovely flocked pre-lit tree has some lights that don't come on anymore, some holes in the branches that are hard to fill, and ornaments unevenly distributed throughout. I turn its lights on first thing each morning and off last thing each night. I watch it and remember, because Christmas memories are especially poignant, especially bright and glittery like the silver garland and the glass ornaments on the tree. I am endlessly fascinated.


I love churches. I mean, I go to church, I am a Christian, and I'm not one of those who believes your devotion to the Lord depends on whether you enter a house of worship every week or whenever, but I love the buildings. Not just the United Methodist ones where I feel immediately at home, but other denominations as well. I love the architecture and the changes in it from one century to another and yet another. I am ever fascinated by the differences in churches and denominations, comforted by the likenesses.


I'm not a bird-watcher, not really, but sitting in my daughter-in-law and son's home in North Carolina watching the birds from their mountain-view deck holds me in thrall. The blue jays almost glow as they swoop across the valley below, then skid to a stop on the bird feeder platform to have a peanut or two.

My husband is a singer who plays guitar, so music has been part of our married life from its beginning. Our kids were in choir at school and several of the grands played instruments in band. One of our grandsons plays trumpet. He played "Amazing Grace" as a solo at his grandmother's funeral so beautifully that listening to it was almost unbearable in its poignancy. We are watching the Get Back documentary as I write this and I am drawn in as I was in the 1960s. I am not musical--playing the radio is a challenge--but my fascination with music is even greater than my love for it.


As a writer, I often share and write about things I love. People I love. Even turns of phrase. But these are the things that feed passion in different ways. They are enriching and joyous and accompany me on paths where I might otherwise feel alone. 

What are your things of fascination? I'd love to hear what they are and why.

Merry Christmas!




Looking for a Christmas read? Join us in Christmas Town

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Liz. Merry Christmas! I, too, am fascinated by wildlife. When we're in Florida, our condo looks out over an estuary that's the buffer zone for Cape Canaveral. Four floor up, we can see the osprey fly by and, if we're lucky, eagles. Below on a boardwalk, next to the vegetation, bobcats occasionally walk the rail at dust. It's totally fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it sounds wonderful! We see bald eagles here occasionally, and I just want to sit and watch them. Merry Christmas, Judy!

      Delete
  2. Liz, what a perfect post! Especially so because I agree with you. I love seeing old churches and homes and conjuring up what it must have been like when they were new, wondering who enjoyed them. We have bird and squirrel feeders scattered in the yard. We share some of the same fascinations and opinions, which comforts me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. It helps with the getting older, doesn't it--the things we find to fascinate us. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I am fascinated by babies, moving water, fire and clouds. I could watch any of those four things for hours. They are mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas lights are what brings the season to life for me each year. When my kids were home, I would decorate the living room every year, we would hang lights outside on the house, and put things on the porch. Now I'm lucky to get my little 4' tree up and decorated, but luckily my grandgirls usually are here to help. But it was when we would put the kids or the grands in the car and drive all over the county looking at the lights and displays people would put up to celebrate Christmas. That is always what really starts the season for me and the candlelight vigil at the church brings it's true meaning to life. Merry Christmas Liz and Duane - love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to drive around and look, too! Love you back, Deb.

      Delete
  5. I used to live exploring the attics, basements, and crawl spaces of homes I rented or an estate that a relative bought. Things left behind often tell stories about the people who lived there. Books, knickknacks, papers, and magazines are windows into the lives that once filled the space you now occupy. Sometimes you get the story right. Sometimes it’s all historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! At a house we rented, my husband found a hairbrush someone had left behind. About 48 years later, he’s still using it.

      Delete
  6. I used to live exploring the attics, basements, and crawlspaces of homes I rented or a relative bought. One relative bought from estate sales which were also interesting slices in someone’s life. The things left behind tell a story. Sometimes it’s a window into the past. Sometimes it’s just coincidence and historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Liz- The older I get, the easier I am fascinated and awed by the greatness of the simple things in our world. Seems like so much of our life we are running toward creating this perfect life, we never really stop and enjoy the one we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri. I think you're right about that. We are lucky that we learn at least some things in time, aren't we? Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Something that fascinates me also surprised me. For years, we had a natural tree and cut greens around the house. The thing was, we were both allergic to the greens and had sinus problems. One year, I had the idea, after Christmas to buy lots of artificial greens. I loved them and they looked so natural-- no sinus problems. Last year, for the first time, we bought an artificial tree, got ornaments for it as ours were all in Oregon. It went up again this year and yes, it fascinates me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I loved real trees as a kid, but I love artificial ones now. Not because of allergies but because of the mess. (Although our tree now is flocked--speaking of mess.)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!