Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, July 12, 2020

Summer, Bulls, and Romance by Paty Jager

After deciding at the beginning of the year that this would be an all mystery writing year, I have changed course a bit. 

After writing 3 mystery books in a row and finding I was mixing up my main character names in the two different series, I decided to clear my mind and write a Tumbling Creek Ranch novella. 

Writing the contemporary western romance was just what my brain needed. I already had the premise of the book written down as there will be 6 novellas in this series. This is novella #4. Collateral Love. Not sure it's a catchy title but it has the word love in it and gives a glimpse of how the hero and heroine get together.

Because the heroine is the owner of a roughstock bull company, I contacted twin sisters who began their own roughstock bull company right out of high school. My husband and I visited with them at 4-H dinners and watched them grow. When I contacted them, they were eager to answer my questions.

Since the first novella in this series had a heroine who rode bulls, I figured having a heroine who raised bulls wouldn't bother my readers. The only thing is at the beginning of the story, she is losing her ranch, welll,her deceased husband's ranch because of his gambling. The animals and equipment are in her name and the bank can't take that away, but she has no place to move to that she can afford.

The hero has purchased half of his family's ranch, but doesn't have the money to stock it with cattle or horses. When he goes to the bank to get a loan for livestock, the banker suggests  he strike up a deal with the owner of a roughstock company. The hero is liking the idea until he finds out the owner is the one girl in high school who bested him at every thing- including tractor driving. 

As always it is fun to visit the fictional people and places I make up for my series. Writing about Dawson, Montana and the Wallis and MacIntyre families was kind of like going to a family reunion.

The story is off to my critique partners and I've moved on to the next Gabriel Hawke Novel. Always moving to the next story. I'm so thankful that my imagination is always working overtime. 

I should have a cover and release date for this book by next month.  If you want to know when it will release sooner, you can follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PatyJagerAuthor/  or join my newsletter: https://bit.ly/2JVGe4j

Enjoy July! 

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 46 novels, 8 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

This is what Romance Junkies has to say about the Tumbling Creek Ranch series: “There are twists and turns to the story with a nice flow and a depth to the characters. The vivid scenic descriptions made me feel like I was there… I hope to return to Tumbling Creek Ranch over and over again.”

blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I know the mixing of names scenario. I'm finishing my third novella in a "Musical Christmas" series to be released this fall. I have been typing in the wrong names and driving myself crazy. I want to start on another new novel just to clear my head. Best of luck with all your writing endeavors and promotion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!