Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, August 20, 2023

Writing in A Small Town by Liz Flaherty

I found this when I was looking for something else. I laughed some when I read it, a little self-consciously, because I'm not a fan of my own snark. But it's as accurate for me as it was then. The real reason I laughed when I read it was that then was in 2014. 


There are always trends going on in the writing of romance, and right now that’s a good thing for me because one of those trends is toward small-town or even rural romance. In the first place, this makes me snicker, because the definition of “romance” is fairly absolute—I don’t think small-town or rural people feel one bit different than their urban counterparts when it comes to falling in love.

In the second place, from the vantage point of having spent my whole life in what is often classified (usually by those who don’t live here) as “the middle of nowhere,” I am in the smug situation of knowing the truth about life in a small town—or outside it, as the case may be. Speaking of truth, there are a few that are absolute.

1. People don’t mind your business in small towns unless it somehow involves them or unless you’re particularly entertaining, rich, or snotty.

2. Country folks can be smart, educated, and even sophisticated. You can dress well, eat healthy, and pay too much for a haircut. Many of us do not drive pickups with guns in the back windows. Personally, I’ve driven an SUV since 2006, which I consider quite cosmopolitan of me.

3. We are not all waitresses with bad grammar and hearts of gold or men who sit out in front of the general store and play checkers and spit.

4. If you’re in a town of less than 1000 residents, don’t talk about calling a taxi—there probably isn’t one.

5. Don’t say “ain’t.”

6. Don’t assume that kids in rural or small-town high schools never get to college or know what to do when they get there. They do.

7. Fort Wayne, Indiana had a population of 254,555 in 2012. It’s fine to refer to it as a small town, but I wish you’d explain to me how it qualifies. I live near Deedsville, population 101—now that’s a small town.

8. We go to plays, concerts, and movies (first run!). We travel, love our kids and pets, and worship at will.

Those are my truths, and I only write them out in this rather snarky fashion because I’ve rolled my eyes at (and not finished) too many books where the authors didn’t do their homework on life on the non-wild side.

And now there is the other side. There is the fact that sometimes when I write about large cities or even suburbs, I’m not always sure of what I’m saying. What would a city mouse say or do in the circumstances I’m writing about?

I think I have a tendency to give city-dwellers less common sense than those of us from the boonies. I make them unable to change their own tires or fix their own drains. I make them less sympathetic to the human condition. Less likely to attend church, cook well, or put together a nice outfit from the thrift shop if that’s what they need to do.

Really? I mean, come on, really? And I was being condescending about how country people are portrayed? Makes me think that, as well as sharing the truths I do know, I should pay some attention to the ones I don’t.

And I'm probably not the only one. 


Speaking of small towns, A Year of Firsts has been re-released. It's the first story from Fallen Soldier, Pennsylvania. The series name has changed to A New Season. If you missed it the first time, I hope you'll give Syd and Clay's story a look. Syd is small town and Clay is big city, but their story is all heart. 


“I’m Sydney Cavanaugh. Just passing through.”

Widow Syd Cavanaugh is beginning a “year of firsts” with the road trip she’d promised her husband she’d take after his death. An unplanned detour lands her in Fallen Soldier, Pennsylvania, where she meets the interesting and intelligent editor of the local paper.

Television journalist Clay McAlister’s life took an unexpected turn when a heart attack forced him to give up his hectic lifestyle. He’s still learning how to live in a small town when meeting a pretty traveler in the local coffee shop suddenly makes it all much more interesting.

While neither of them is interested in a romantic relationship, their serious case of being “in like” seems to push them that way. However, Clay’s heart condition doesn’t harbinger a very secure future, and Syd’s already lost one man she loved to a devastating illness—she isn’t about to lose another. Where can this relationship possibly go?

https://tinyurl.com/ac3d4jdh




18 comments:

  1. I love my visit to Fallen Soldier to visit with Syd and Clay!

    Small towns are a quirky thing, having been raised in one that at one time had a single, blinking red light and now only has a blinking stop sign! I call Ft Wayne a city…maybe not as big as New York, but a city all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kristi! When it comes to driving, I don't like anything with more than a couple of stoplights. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. I was surprised it didn't feel more dated than it did. How long have I been a curmudgeon?

      Delete
  3. A good reason for people to travel and experience different places and cultures! Sometimes you don't know what you don't know! :-) Nice post, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been somewhere that I didn't learn something. Thanks, Darlene!

      Delete
  4. I like your snark. I have lived in the middle of nowhere, in a small town, and in a big city. I guess the people in a small town are more willing to help you change a tire while you call AAA in a city. Of course, being in Texas, I deal with the "because you speak slower you are an idiot" crowd. That isn't true, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only lived here in the cornfields, but we do tend to underestimate others' intelligence and abilities because of our own preconceived notions, don't we?

      Delete
  5. While I agree with this I also think we have to keep in mind that those stereotypical small town/city slicker characters do exist. But you're definitely right, not everyone can be fit in those boxes. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. They do exist...right on my road!...but we need to not paint with too broad of a brush.

      Delete
  6. Is that the city that you live in at the top? It's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. No, that was what Canva gave me when I asked for small town. I was hurrying and thought it was pretty.

      Delete
  7. One more thought--I write rock stars and am annoyed when people pigeon-hole them. While the majority might live a certain lifestyle, they don't ALL do that. "I don't think rock stars play cards." Uhh, yeah, they do. They also use the toilet and have nights off from partying. And I hate it when people say, "A guy wouldn't say that." Again, there are some commonalities among men, but they're not all Neanderthals who have a five-word vocabulary! If you don't know a guy who can gab along with anyone, I don't know what planet your on. Guys can be sensitive and carry on conversation, and like all of us, they have their times when they are insensitive and struggle to verbalize their feelings. No stereotype is true for every single person that stereotype is supposed to fit. But sometimes they do fit, and that's okay, too. Rant over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I identify with your rant. My kids were athletes and I've been fighting the dumb jock stereotype ever since the first time one of them picked up a ball. Doesn't bother them at all--Ph.D, anyone?--but makes me mad every time.

      Delete
  8. Small town girls rock!! I love living in a small town. There are even some pretty "famous" people that come from a small town like awesome authors 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a study I read once where the military tested folks and found that small town people were more creative. That may be true. Of me and my 4 siblings, 4 of us are very artistic/ creative. I mean, what else were we going to do with the closest neighbor 1/2 mile away and only three channels on TV that ended at midnight but entertain ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. There is a point to that. We read a tremendous amount, and were kept busy with the never-ending chores of a farm. We also had bikes and my brothers, at least, a lot of freedom. I know I couldn't wait to leave it, and then in a couple of years, I couldn't wait to get back. Not to farming--I wasn't interested in that--but to living in the country.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!