They write lofty resolutions and tell how they're going to exercise everyday, give up sugar, carbs, and fats and generally become this perfect human specimen.
Heard it. Done it. Got the tee shirt. Want my tee shirt?
I'm going to do things a little different by giving you some advice that's actually helpful. No, I didn't write what follows. It arrived in my Inbox a few years ago, and is by the late, great George Carlin who was as wise as he was funny.
5 Tips from George Carlin
1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay him/her.
2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer.
4. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.
5. Always remember, Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away.
If you don't send this to at least 8 people—who cares?
Something else that is short and sweet—and also very sexy—is my New Year's romance short story, Last Chance New Year.
A Moment in Time is all that's needed for Love to be Revealed in this highly sensual romance short story.
Cheyenne Smith, better known as C. A. Smith to her co-workers, decides New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to give in to insanity.
She plans to throw herself at Luke Harper, the man she loves, and hope he catches her. Will Luke be her safety net?
Last Chance New Year is only 99 cents at Amazon Kindle. Short, romantic and sexy. Perfect for an evening's read.
My New Year Advice
Of course, I have to give a bit of New Year advice too. Mine is what Thoreau said: "The world is too much with us. Simplify."