Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, September 28, 2023

Well, That was Awkward by Bea Tifton

Filling in for the lovely and talented Beth Trissel. 

I am socially awkward, Dear Reader. No, I’m not on the autistic spectrum, nor was I raised by wolves.  Perhaps it’s because I’m actually an acutely shy person. I don’t enjoy cocktail parties, dances, or anything where I am squeezed into a room full of people trying to be witty and impressive. 

Most people have an occasional awkward moment. My college roommate was a smart, funny person, and she had a ginormous crush on this boy in her biology class. He was beautiful, with thick, wavy black hair and huge green eyes flecked with gold. They had been staring at each other for a couple of days when he came over to introduce himself. As he was walking away, she called out, “Thanks.”

He teased her about that for weeks after they began dating. For my roommate and I, “Thanks” became our go to phrase for any nerdy behavior either one of us exhibited for the duration of our friendship.

I was at one of those dreaded parties and I ended up, as though things go, standing with someone I didn’t know at all. We exchanged the requisite, “What do you do?” questions, and upon learning I was a librarian, he asked me what my favorite book was. I blanked out. I could not remember a single book I had ever read. Ever. Had I read a book? Could I read? I didn’t know. There was an awkward pause that lengthened, and then he smiled and drifted off.



I was seated next to my boss once at an awards dinner for the school district. She was an intimidating woman at the best of times and, although I didn’t dislike her, I would rather not have been sitting right next to her. I talk with my hands, and it was way too close quarters for that. You probably guessed what happened next. I knocked over her wine. I grabbed it before it broke and no wine actually got on her, but she even though she took it with good grace, I could tell she was annoyed and everyone teased me. I was mortified, but I laughed along and made some joke like, “And I haven’t even had any wine yet.”

That’s the key to awkward moments, I think. Keep your sense of humor and don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself.












And try not to attend those awful cocktail parties.


 Photo Credits from Pexels.com

Sam Lion "Cheerful Woman with Cream on Nose and Cup of Coffee"
 CLOUD OF SHADE Photography "Smiling Couple Standing by Tree"
cottonbro studio "Four Women and Man in Floral Shirt"
Toni Cuenca "Woman Holding Her Eyeglasses" 
Alena Shekhovtcova "Cheerful Woman with Branch of Plant Sitting on Sofa"


2 comments:

  1. I'm not always socially awkward, but I am a lifelong clumsy person, so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. I'm clumsy, too. Mom calls it being "Event prone."

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!