Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, September 6, 2023

That One Hobby~Sherri Easley

When I hear the doorbell ring, I peek out the curtain to make sure it’s not the camera crew from Hoarders- the TV series.

If she who has the most fabric, vinyl and leather or most sewing machines wins (I have 13); I own a gold medal.

I used to say I sewed for therapy, but at this point in my hobby, I could be seeing Dr. Phil.

People laugh when I say these things with no idea how close to the truth it is.

I have been sewing since I was 5 years old. My first project was a short crop top out of a feed sack on my grandmother’s old Adler knee pedal sewing machine. I immediately wore it, spilled chocolate milk on it and threw it away because the stain would not come out.

I am one week away from Fiber Fest- at the Irving Texas Convention Center. This will be my first three-day show. It will be September 15-17. These will be long, tiring days of selling my wares. I am not as spry as I used to be when I did trade and craft shows in my thirties, and I swore I would never do it again, and here I am sewing until the wee hours of the night, after a full day of work at the corporate job.

Because I am out of the loop, I set my booth up in my living room. It is a bit sparse but, hey; I have 7 more nights before I have to set it all up and go.

My three dogs and 2 cats are over it. They expect sleep at a specific time and when that doesn't happen, they sleep at the foot pedals of my sewing machine to the point, I can't even move my chair. 

 

Do you have that hobby besides writing you can’t seem to shake?



















 

5 comments:

  1. I sew, and I love doing it, but my skills are...limited. I have been making potholders because...you know, instant gratification; they only take about 20 minutes. I love all your projects. I learned on my mom's Singer treadle machine, which I still have but will never, ever use again; it's a hateful thing. Or, at least, it hated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cantankerous sewing machine can really make you hate sewing. I have a couple of really fancy embroidery machines and much of what I do is made on those- very little skill needed. In fact, I have taught my seven year old grand how to thread it. As always, thank you for reading my post.

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I like to sew, but I also do woodworking and make small products like birdhouses, wooden pumpkins, etc. Sometimes, when my writing stalls, I go to my shop and play with wood while I'm trying to figure out a problem with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have so many power tools and I once renovated a house. I just don't have the workspace for that anymore. Too much creativity and so little time- thanks for reading ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!