Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, July 20, 2023

We Are Family by Liz Flaherty

My friend Nan Reinhardt and I were talking after another writer posted a question on Facebook that asked about families. Most of us have different ones, don't we? They're comprised of relatives, church families, work families, even neighborhood ones. 

And writer ones.

I remember when RWA felt like a family. Although it was huge, every meeting I ever attended--no matter which chapter and whether I was a member of it or not--felt both welcoming and accepting. We talked writing, we critiqued, we held each other up--all things families do. At conferences, we talked endlessly, learned from each other, schmoozed. We met editors and agents and--oh, joy!--sometimes we got asked for a complete. Oh, and we drank, too--that was incidental, but it sure gave me an appreciation of hotel bars!

Spring Fling 2014

But my writing family has shrunk. The in-person family, I mean. While I enjoy the Facebook groups I'm a part of, I haven't been to a conference in years. Until AARP sponsors one, I probably won't. Just as I can no longer write 20-something heroines, neither do I have much in common with younger writers at conferences. Some of that is envy on my part--I miss being in that demographic, no matter how much I enjoy being the age I am now--and part of it is that I haven't kept  up with how the industry has changed. 

It's nobody's fault, but do I wish there were 50-and-over writers' conferences? You bet.

Segue here... If you want to make jokes now about things like going to bed at 9:30, charging hearing aids, making sure we know where our canes and walkers are, and carrying an arsenal of both prescription and OTC drugs, go ahead. We joke about them, too, although some or all those things are facts of our lives and they're really no big deal. 

Okay, back to the post... So, at least as far as in-person connections go, my romance writing family is mostly just Nan and me. We have work days and biannual retreats and we both count on those things. We're also long-time besties, which counts for a lot all by itself. 

Nan and Me

We've done some researching, and we think we're going to try to go to one of the smaller conferences next year and/or possibly join a retreat like this one https://michiganromancewriters.org/retreat-from-harsh-reality/

Jana Richards

Talk to us about your writing families. Suggest conferences and retreats. While you're at it, stop in at Word Wranglers and read Jana Richards's post on retreats. 




10 comments:

  1. A retreat sounds absolutely heavenly! I wish I could ask for something like that in good conscious. I may start saving up for my own personal retreat somewhere down the line. Thanks, again, for sharing your thoughts. I love the first picture you have of the food, various drinks, and pen-wielding hands! It makes me hungry for one of those retreats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recommend a retreat highly enough. If you have a local writer friend--or more than one--reserve a study room at the library, gather treats and drinks and writing and/or learning prompts, take your laptops, and spend the day. It's almost free and it is good for the writer's heart and soul.

      Delete
  2. My daughter and I have talked about this a lot lately. My in-person friends have shrunk. although I keep up with many online friends. Some of my author friends have even stopped writing altogether, which shocks me. I could never do that, but I have slowed down. I do remember the conferences and retreats I used to attend--most with fondness. Writing is part of me, so I can never quit. However, I really could use a boost from the Energizer Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop either, nor do I try very hard. I'm not successful by any scale except my own, I think, but that's what's necessary. Writing is a lot like breathing, isn't it? You're a friend, Carolyn, and I hope sometime we get to meet!

      Delete
  3. I love that we are each other's writing family--you got a lot of air play at my Tule writer retreat, which was the perfect size retreat for me! Yes, yes to giving a small one a try together. I would love that, but then, if it means going writing with you, I'm always all in! Can't wait for our next adventure in October! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to Bardstown! Thanks for the air play! :-)

      Delete
  4. I am a firm believer it is not the quantity- but the quality. I love my little two person writing family. If all ya'll go to a retreat- I want to go too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about that. I only ever went to one RWA National (Chicago), and while I loved it, I was also overwhelmed by it.

      Delete
  5. There are writing contests that award time at a writer's retreat, and travel and food, as the prize if you win, so don't let the cost of a retreat keep you from going. I write nonfiction, so most retreats are not insterested in my kind of book. I live vicariously through my mom and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of vicariousness going around with all of us, isn't there? I keep reading about the Storyknife retreat in Alaska, just because I want to go there so bad. Some retreats ARE multi-genre, though--you might want to check them out. Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!