Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, October 22, 2022

What I did for summer vacation.

 Ever wonder what mountain folks do for fun. Well, become mountain men of course. 

All of the outfits you see in these pictures I made myself, beadwork and all. Tanning and breaking the hides, plus all the other crafts I have done in my life, has caused permanent nerve damage in my hands. I wouldn't have changed a thing. I have always expressed myself in the arts. It was a fair trade off.

The week starts with setting up your primitive encampment. I made the teepee myself out of goat hides. I love the whole premise of Rendezvous, but making the equipment is my favorite activity. Oh, I made our chairs also.


Once we set up camp, we gather with the other members and give thanks to God and Country.






That is when the fun begins. Pull out the black powder and get out on the trail. It is loud, it is long, and it is the most fun you will ever have in the mountains.



But it doesn't end there. Next comes the hawk and knife throw. Even the little ones get in on this, after the craft-making tent activities, and their slingshot shoot.







And last but not least, we move on to the Longbow range. Where we get bruised arms and shoot stuffed animals.







After all the fun, you win some awesome prizes, (that is me winning the rifle)





and if the kids are really lucky someone brings a candy cannon. 



Rendezvous is one of my favorite things to do. If you have one in your area, I highly recommend checking them out.






12 comments:

  1. How very interesting! There is a Rendezvous near here, the Trail of Courage in Rochester, IN. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great outdoor fun. We have Rendezvouses similar to this around our state in Pennsylvania and up in the endless mountains. Compliments to you on your craftsmanship! I'm a woodworker. There's something personally rewarding when you finish a project. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite an accomplished crafts person. Looks like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, what a wonderful post. Huge amount of kudos to you for the self-made shelter and accouterments. Rendezvoused for many years when my husband was still alive. It is a unique amazing experience, whether local or the nationals it was great fun. Nice you are keeping the history and gatherings alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love them and the grandkids are really getting into it.

      Delete
  5. Great skills to have these days! Your craftsmanship is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!