Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Ever After by Liz Flaherty


I'm in the "ever after" part of life. There are things I know that I wish I didn't, scars on my heart I wish could have been avoided, and grief that is so pervasive it's as if it's become an organ of its own. I have trouble writing romance because of those things I know. Those things I feel. The grief that swells and takes so much energy with it.

I'm a little bewildered by it all. And overwhelmed. And tired. Oh, yeah, tired...

But I'm sitting here this morning, my favorite time of day, keeping company with the sun as it makes its appearance. And I'm thinking, listening to birdsong and watching the oriole gorging on the sections of an orange on the little table I can see from the office window. Thinking, you know, is a huge part of the actual act of writing. 


Dinah, the heroine in Book Three of the Second Chances series, is younger than me by a good many years, but she's at a place where you gather those scars and learn some of those things. So is Zach, the hero. They've been married, divorced, raised kids, known debt, bought houses. They've lost people they loved and picked themselves up when they fell. Again and again. 

The conflict is...hmmm...neither of them wants to give up their total independence. Zach has been an employer most of his adult life, while Dinah has waited tables. They don't need each other. I'm not certain when it became important to me that the protagonists in a story come together out of love and want but not need, but it did. 

But there's a hiccup, too, another little piece of conflict. Just as she's learning to live in a house without her triplets, he's getting custody of his younger son, and...well, that's as far as I am, but I'm pretty sure I can help them find their way to ever after. Will I reach the part, as I would have as a younger writer, where they need each other? Probably not. Love and want and desire are fine, but not need. They are adults. 

The happily part? That's up to them. Just as in our own lives, we have to find happiness ourselves. So when I think about the ever afters the people in my books have, I clutter them with things they don't want to know, scars, and grief. Because that's how they survive. As Jake says in Reinventing Riley, "...that's how we love."

What I have done here is brainstormed and I so appreciate you being part of it. Thank you for any input you may have and for listening if you don't have. Dinah, Zach, and I will muddle through. I'm in the middle now, where it gets saggy...

~*~


Coming on May 25, Reinventing Riley, Book Two in Second Chances. It's not up for pre-order, but I'll stick the link in when I have it. I hope you journey back to Fallen Soldier with me.

Liz Flaherty

10 comments:

  1. Another new release! I love the sound of this one, too, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I appreciate your openness in discussing this book--and what led up to it. I had a firmly developed independence when I met the man who eventually became my second husband. Of all wonders, he respected that independence and allowed me to relinquish parts of it as I was able. I gladly returned the favor. (I only wish we'd had more time together before illness took him.) Thank you for your lovely post and for a peek at your sensitive book. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb. I'm glad you had that with your husband, even though it didn't last long enough.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... I'm thinking hard about the whole concept of "Love and want and desire are fine, but not need. They are adults." Adults shouldn't need each other? I've been thinking about it all day and I'm not sure if I'm in complete agreement, although I can't, at the moment, verbalize why. I'm working on it. Great post, Liz! Thanks for making me think! <>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I've thought about it, too. Mutual need is one thing. It's like Rye in the upcoming book--she didn't want to take care of mousetraps, but she could and did. I think what I want to say is I hate for relationships to be based on what one person does for the other one. It's not a good thing to generalize about, though--I'll grant you that!

      Delete
  4. Oh Liz! This really struck a chord with me- Twice divorced here-with so many scars I can't even name them all... and then there's that fierce independence- I feel like my heart is just a rock sometimes when it comes to love. I can't wait to see how this turns out- I know it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri. I don't want to make light of those scars, nor do I want them to rule the story. Sometimes it's hard to find the sweet spot.

      Delete
  5. Your story line just chewed it’s way into my brain. It’s not my genre, but you dear lady are a wordsmith.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!