Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, July 6, 2024

Last Words~ Sherri Easley

 

When I was growing up, there was an elderly widow woman who lived next to us. When I say, next to us, it’s only in the broadest sense of the term, because we lived in the country, but we could see her house from our front porch.

In the Summer, I would hotfoot it down to Miss Nora’s house, barefoot on asphalt, and sit and eat ice cream with her and listen to the wisdom of age. She was a lovely woman with red hair and twinkling blue eyes. I asked her once why she had never remarried and she said, “because I never found anyone who made me a better person.”

As I get older, I find myself more in tune with the here and now, more aware of the fragility of our human being and more conscious of my presence and actions. I have gravitated to Miss Nora’s wisdom, not just in spouses, but in my friendships as well.

My beautiful sister passed away yesterday. She and I had become very close over the last few years, and we chatted on messenger every week, either just the two of us or with her daughter, and always ended with our last words: “love you.”

Elaine made me a much better person and I am grateful for that.

When I published my last book, Stars at Night, I dedicated it to her and meant every word.

For Elaine.

Surrogate mother, therapist, friend, and the best sister a girl could ever have.
Pinky swear.

Rest in Peace Elaine, until I see you again.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sherri, I am so sorryo to learn of Elaine’s passing. Bless you, my friend. You made me a better person. Love you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Even with the memories, it's a sad and empty place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!