Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Delicious Memories by Bea Tifton

 

For Christmas, my father gave me some white chocolate candy bars. I love white chocolate, but like any other type of candy, some bars are better than others. This was the best white chocolate I had ever tasted. Dad hit it right out of the park for me, and I really appreciated that.
As a piece of the candy bar melted on my tongue, I had a sharp, clear memory of my childhood.  When I was a child, the Sears Department Store we frequented had a candy counter right smack in the middle of the store. If I was good (which was every time, of course, because I was a perfect child), we would stop by the candy counter. This was a big deal. A whole bag of candy I could choose all by myself.  I always walked solemnly around the display case, looking at every kind of candy, and then ordered white chocolate stars. As I clutched my little paper bag of treasure, I would take out a star, nibble it, and let the piece melt in my mouth. Heaven.  So my father’s gift of candy bars brought back one of my favorite childhood memories.

Isn’t it funny how even the smell of some foods can evoke such powerful memories? I was a sickly child before I became a sickly adult. I didn’t like chicken noodle soup, so Mamaw would make me her potato soup recipe from scratch. I could eat that when I couldn’t tolerate anything else. It was delicious and I felt special because she had gone to so much trouble for me. To this day, every time I smell potato soup or see it on a menu, I smile to myself and think of my Mamaw.


When I was very small, Mom would go to a specific bakery to buy bread. The counter seemed so far away to me since I was so young (and small for my age, anyway), so I couldn’t even see over the display case. Mom would ask for the bread, and then she bought me a sand tart. The baker was always so friendly to me. He would give me a big smile as he leaned over and handed me my cookie.  I felt so special.



Memories are powerful things. They can make us sad, happy, and even angry. But how wonderful that one can go back in time at just a mention of certain foods. Do you have any special food memories?



 

 Photo Credits: 
Pexels.com: Anete Lusina "Delicious White Chocolate on Ceramic Plate"
The Indiana Album: James Ray Coleman Collection "Sears Candy Counter, 1970s"
Wikimedia Commons: Dept of Agriculture Extension Service "Woman Cooking in a Kitchen"
Wikimedia Commons: Sara Stieneh "Bakery at Clark's, a Grocery, Drug, Sundries, and Department Store and Lunch Counter"
Pexels.com Kati Bishop "Woman Looking Up Smiling"


 

                            

2 comments:

  1. Memories are pieces of emotional wealth, aren't they? Even hurtful ones serve a purpose as reminders that we came through on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My holiday candy memory is about the chocolate covered cherries my grandfather always gave me at Christmas. In his memory, I always buy a box every Christmas. When I eat one, I call my brother, and we reminisce about him, the candy, and those special Christmases.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!