Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Friday, October 20, 2023

Colors by Liz Flaherty

It's a rainy day as I write this. Yellow cottonwood leaves are tossing in the wind before giving up the ghost and drifting down to carpet the still-green grass. I love the colors of autumn.

I think it was that love that seeded the idea for the Colors series. It's my first attempt at writing a women's fiction series, and the first manuscript--completed and being shopped--is called Pieces of Blue. Not exactly a fall color, but brightness. Change. Heart-healing. 

I chose the setting for the series first, which was different in itself because normally I meet the people. They sit with me until I know what they look like, the shape of their hands, how their laughs sound. I understand what's hurt them in their pasts and that they'd like for me to tell the stories of their healing and beginning again.

But Colors started with a drive through the country to Town Lake, which is 10 miles from my house and I never knew it was there. I don't know its population, and Harper Loch--the home of the Colors series--doesn't look much like Town Lake, but the approach is the same. You get there slowly on a serpentine road with one and a half lanes.

The population of Harper Loch is 86--sometimes 87--and 200-some in the summer. Maggie North inherits a big house there, and Pieces of Blue is born. 

I don't know how Blue or, next in line, A Splash of Red, will be published--or even if they will. I am reminded, though, to remember the pleasure of the writing itself. While that pleasure can't replace a contract, a perfect cover, or a great review, it's still a reminder of yes, I can. I'm good with that. Like the colors of autumn--and blue--it's bright, it's change, and--for a writer--it's heart-healing.



He’s afraid a second time at love wouldn’t live up to his first. She’s afraid a second round would be exactly like her first.

Pastor Jake McAlister and businesswoman Riley Winters are in their forties and widowed.
Neither is interested in a relationship. They both love Fallen Soldier, the small Pennsylvania
town where they met, even though Rye plans to move to Chicago, and Jake sees a change in
pastorates not too far down the road. Enjoying a few-weeks friendship is something they both
look forward to.
However, there is an indisputable attraction between the green-eyed pastor and the woman with a
shining sweep of chestnut hair. Then there’s the Culp, an old downtown building that calls
unrelentingly to Rye’s entrepreneurial soul. And when a young man named Griff visits Jake, life
changes in the blink of a dark green eye.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. The Colors series sounds intriguing. I'm glad you still write for the love of writing; that's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, although I admit that sometimes I forget just how important.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like its going to be great but then all your stories are 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the colors. And, "Reinventing Riley" sounds like an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!