Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, June 22, 2019

JEWELS AND TROLLS

By Caroline Clemmons

Receiving a Facebook friend request from a reader or potential fan is fun. Each friend is a jewel. Making a connection with a reader adds a ray of sunshine to the day. That’s what attracted me to Facebook. I can connect with readers and other authors (who are also readers) all over the world. I love that.

What don’t I love? Trolls. Do those of you who aren’t authors get odd friend requests?


Allow me to rant a bit about the trolls. Authors get a variety of fake requests including from high-ranking military officers—as if we’re supposed to believe generals and admirals can’t wait to be our Facebook friend. I don’t mean an occasional phony request, but several each day.

Many have me checking the person’s Facebook page. Sometimes the page consists of a photo of a guy and the photo is repeated over and over. No friends shown. Troll. Delete.

Now the trolls have caught on and sometimes pose as a woman with a photo of a middle-aged or elderly woman or children. No posts. No friends. Troll. Delete.

I'm aware the trolls want to hack our friends list and any personal information we have in our profile. What I don’t understand is why someone would spend his or her time doing so. With the skills required to do this despicable job, a person could make a good salary working for a legitimate company.

Okay, I’m off my soapbox now.  



While I'm here, I'll add that I released a new book Friday, DEBORAH'S DILEMMA, Pearson Grove book 3. The Universal Amazon buy link is http://mybook.to/Deborah. This book will be in e-book and in KU. Soon there will be a print edition. 



2 comments:

  1. I get several of these trolls per day. Usually high-ranking men in the military or business world. Like you, I check out the page, then delete the request.

    Yes, readers, if you like a book, post a review. You never know how many authors are on the verge of giving up. Your review will make their day, and could give them the encouragement to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's with these military men? Desperation comes to mind. However, I agree that Facebook helps us connect with one another. I've met many writers via social media sites.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!