Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, July 2, 2023

HAPPY HOLIDAY WEEKEND!

By Caroline Clemmons


Happy holiday weekend! At least it is to those of us who live in the USA. For those of you who don't live in the USA, I hope you have a pleasant day wherever you are. If you have an extended weekend, I hope you spend it enjoying yourself. Traditionally, it’s a great time for family reunions, picnics, barbecues, and the start of vacations. Those of you who love the sun, rejoice. As for me, I’m a fan of spring and fall when the weather is more moderate than our triple digit degree days. We should erect a monument to whomever invented air conditioning!

One of the delights of the weekend is attending a community firework displays, usually held at a park or lake. These are controlled fireworks which do not threaten anyone’s roof, grass, or people. (In spite of them being against the law in the city limits, we hear them from July-6.)



Back when I was a girl and had to walk uphill to school both ways through snowdrifts, I remember the few times we had fireworks. The first was when I was six and we were at my grandmother’s on a visit. I loved these visits for two reasons: 1. My grandmother pampered me. 2. My dad got bored after a couple of days and would entertain me. So, that year he succumbed to my pestering pleading asking politely for fireworks.

You have to understand what a really big deal this was. My mom was way overprotective and didn’t want her little princess to do anything that might involve danger. Second, my folks could pinch a penny until Abe Lincoln begged for mercy. Daddy bought me sparklers and this thing called a black snake. You lit the little black pill in the container and the pill expanded up like a snake about to strike and then flowed over the container where it quickly dissolved to mush. I wasn’t too impressed with it. The sparklers, on the other hand, fascinated me.


The next time I had fireworks was about nine or ten years later when my dad got sparklers for my young brother. Said brother ran around barefoot all summer. With our traditional family grace, he stepped on a burned out sparkler that was still very hot. That was my last memory of fireworks with the family, but I’m sure my brother continued to get sparklers every year and I probably joined the fun.

If you have fond memories of past July 4th weekends, let me know in the comments. 

3 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law and brother hosted a party on the 4th for more years than I can remember, but it became so huge they finally gave it up. Ours is always low-key. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always have a neighborhood 4th of July party on our patio for nine or ten couples every year since our covered patio is the largest one to hold everyone if it rains. We had one today with rain. Ugh. It's fun to get caught up on what everyone is doing and planning. Everyone brings something, and we grill hotdogs, hamburgers, and bratwurst, so it's not complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up, it was food and family and fun- not so much anymore, it's AC and low-key. Most memorable though was my brother, who had an affinity for blowing things up, and his fireworks. One year, as he was walking out the back door his lit "punk", that thing we lit fireworks with that looked like incense- fell into his sack of fireworks and they all went up in a cacophony of explosions and puff of smoke on the door stoop. Like a year of anticipation and savings, gone in a literal flash.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!