Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, September 14, 2019

Take My Advice by Bea Tifton


Yesterday I was repotting a plant I’d just bought. I gently massaged the roots before I put them in the dirt. The thought flickered through my mind that I wasn’t sure who had first told me to do this. I thought about all the things I knew how to do and where I had learned them. The practical living things. And that led me to advice. 


Advice comes from so many sources, people we love, people we hate, strangers, advertisers. Do this. Don’t do that. Buy this. Avoid that. We’re bombarded. And, I am willing to admit, I’ve given my fair share as well, both solicited and unsolicited. 


I had a friend who lost her mother. She said the thing she missed most was picking up the phone and asking for advice. Her mother just seemed to know so much about so many things. My mother and I are very close. I hope we have many years left, but I know I will bitterly miss her when the time comes to say goodbye. And one of the reasons is her no nonsense advice and her exhaustive realm of knowledge. How do I get this stain out? What do you think I should plant in that corner of the yard? The purple shirt or the burgundy one? 


When I started teaching my mentor gave me the best teaching advice I ever received. “Say yes whenever you can, but mean it when you say no.” That’s good advice for any area of life. 
I’ve gotten great advice that I didn’t follow. When I was in my 20s I worked as a clerk in a medical library.  The librarians thought I had an affinity for the work and tried to convince me to go to library school. Nope. I was sure I wouldn’t like it and I didn’t want to go to grad school. Fifteen years later? Yep. Masters in Library Science and a profession I love.





Sometimes good advice comes from complete strangers. Here’s a sampling of some words of wisdom that have helped me.

Don’t overstay your welcome:
“Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.”  Benjamin Franklin

Be who you really are:
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

And the most important advice of all:
“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.” – Cowboy Proverb.


Have you ever gotten some great advice? Spectacularly poor advice? Given some? Leave a comment below.


9 comments:

  1. I have, now that you mention it. And, I TRY to follow the good advice when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. My favorite advice was a saying/slogan that a state administrator told us years ago when she came to monitor our adult career program: "Never Let Anyone Steal Your Joy." It's a mantra and slogan I've lived by since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that slogan. It's so true. Thanks for commenting, Judy Ann Davis.

      Delete
  3. A touching post, Bea. I guess the advice I emphasized most often with the kids was: Never make an important decision when you're emotionally overwrought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Joan Reeves. Yes, that is very good advice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't defy the laws of physics
    (My mom talking about using my instant pot)
    My mom Jacquie Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it all, but will definitely keep this one at the fore. Thanks so much! “Say yes whenever you can, but mean it when you say no.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post, Bea. Wise words of advice all the way around. We never know where the road of life we choose will lead. I'm glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!