Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, February 2, 2017

WHAT I'M READING--HOW ABOUT YOU?


As I mentioned last month, covers are an important tool in attracting readers, especially if they’ve never read anything by that author before. I admit to choosing books from a cover then I read the blurb. Then I look at the price. 

Yep, I have a threshold over which I won’t pay. I believe my limit is generous, but some books are more than that. If the e-book is as much as the paperback, I buy the paperback.

For that reason, I just purchased the paperback of HEART OF THE WEST by Penelope Williamson. This purchase is due to Anna Jeffrey’s recommendation. Anna is a friend and a great writer so I respect her opinion.This is not a new book, but apparently a much-loved one by Ms Williamson's fans.



First I have to read (also in paperback) LITTLE BEACH STREET BAKERY by Jenny Colgan for my book club meeting on the 8th. According to the cover, it's an international bestseller. This is a new author for me but I chose the book because of my daughter’s recommendation. She read it for her book club.


Currently I’m reading WILD HORSE SPRINGS by Jodi Thomas to review. How great is it that her publisher sends me her books to review? I know! She is one of my favorite authors. I feel tremendously lucky to be on the reviewer list. You can read my review on the 10th at http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com.

In the meantime, what are you reading? Would you recommend the book to others?

Do you read books by the great authors who are members of this blog? I hope so! Let me know your favorites. 

I’ll give a prize to someone who comments.



12 comments:

  1. I just read two ARCs, one from Livia J. Washburn and one from Cheryl Pierson. Next up, Josephine by Caroline Clemmons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm your fan, Jacquie, and I look forward to having you stay with us so we can talk all we want.

      Delete
  2. I have not read any of the books you mentioned on your blog. Of course, I read all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karren, you are a treasured friend. I look forward to seeing you next week.

      Delete
  3. Little Beach Street Bakery is excellent! I'm looking forward to reading Jodi Thomas New book. Not familiar with the other author.
    Kathleen Bylsma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, you are one of my winners for this blog. Please contact me with your email address at caroline @ carolineclemmons.com

      Delete
  4. It's great to have book recommendations from trusted friends, isn't it? Like you, I check out the book's cover, read the synopsis, and look at the price. I've also started reading reviews, just to make sure there aren't comments about the book being full of errors or other serious problems. That rarely happens! I love to read books by indie authors and authors published by small houses and support them on my author blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed you are very supportive, Sandy. We should support and encourage one another.

      Delete
  5. These are all new authors to me and I am going to have to check out their books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you are one of the winners of this blog. Please contact me at caroline @ carolineclemmons.com to give me your email.

      Delete
  6. Penelope Williamson, be still my heart! Her books are soooo wonderful! I have read Heart of the West--what a good read! It's on my keeper shelf. She also wrote The Outsider that was made into a movie a few years back about a young woman who is part of a religious sect that is very strict, and she falls for a drifter who shows up on her property wounded...that is my fave of her books.

    Have not read the other two you mentioned, Caroline, but just finished reading an ARC of Jacquie's for a little AHEM project that we're working on. LOL Love me some Jacquie Rogers stories, for sure! And you know I love your stories, Caroline! All excellent!

    I have many, many books that have to wait in the wings while I read what I have to read for work, but I really enjoy most everything I read --both for work and for pleasure.

    Next up on my "for pleasure" list is "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie" by Jennifer Ashley. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re-reading from my keeper shelf. In need of comfort reads. *g*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!