Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Monday, April 4, 2016

Knott Heads, Nimrods, and Potholes #oldwest @JacquieRogers #western



Old West Trivia

I admit it--I love discovering new things about old stuff.  I might be looking for the type of material that would be appropriate for Honey Beaulieu's vest, and end up reading about the 19th century treatment for horse hoof fungus.


It just happens.  Sometime, and hour or two down the walk in the park, I have to pull myself back to what it is I'm supposed to be researching.  You can see how this might slow down the writing some.

So today, I thought I'd post a few news articles from The Owyhee Avalanche.  I love how they used the language, plus it's always interesting to take a look into what folks were doing and thinking--especially the good stuff--real life that's not included in the history books.

Here are a few items from the April 3, 1875 issue.  The first shows that nothing ever changes.  We're always complaining about our roads.  With justification, I might add.


The next article interested me because of the language.  You just don't see phrases like "warm talk" today.  So Mr. Anderson clobbered Mr. Knott in the head with a stick (does that make him a Knotthead?), but the man wasn't "dangerously injured."  These days, we think any injury is dangerous!


This next incident would never have happened on Honey Beaulieu's watch, that's for sure.


This next item has me totally baffled--maybe a hunting party?  Nevertheless, the article tickled my funny bone.  Maybe you can tell me what it's all about.


Guess I better get back to my writing now.  Not that I'm easily distracted... oh, look! Caroline Clemmons has a new book out!

Keep up with Jacquie Rogers' latest news at the
Pickle Barrel Gazette!




7 comments:

  1. I love those old newspaper articles. The punctuation and language is so funny to us. Don't you think it funny that those "shipwrecked" men in their prairie schooner had a lot more whiskey than food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A quart of whiskey, a plug of tobacco, and only ONE piece of hard tack. I wonder which of those they ran out of first.

      Delete
  2. Great post! It's amazing how research can draw you in and take you to unexpected places. In your case, I'm guessing these detours might find their way into your stories. Like Caroline, I wondered at the amount of whiskey each man had versus the other supplies. Perhaps that explains why they were shipwrecked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wonder what supplies they brought for the "rescue." LOL.

      Delete
  3. You know how I feel about old news articles. Such fun. Thank you for feeding my habit, now maybe I can get back to work. **I said Maybe! LOL** Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I get the "maybe" part. I've been maybe'ing all dang day. Thanks for stopping by, Doris.

      Delete
  4. Love the little tidbits from old newspapers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!