Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pugs and Roses by Kimmie Easley

As an author (and everything that entails beyond writing such as marketing, blogging, promoting, researching, and the list goes on), I'm also a mother, homeschool teacher, wife, friend, and self proclaimed pug wrangler.



That's why it probably doesn't come as a big shocker when I tell you that I sometimes forget to revel in the little things. Ok, a lot of the time, but don't we all?

I know with the holidays upon us, we can look at it in one of two ways.

1. Stressed, hectic, dreading get togethers, and living beyond our means. 

2. Blessed beyond measure. 


I tend to lean towards number one, myself. 


However, not this year. I'm putting myself in check. 


“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough” 


“We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” 


“Thankfulness creates gratitude which generates contentment that causes peace.” 


“Thankfulness allows us to walk through a world inundated by opportunities and possessions, being slaves to neither.” 


“When you express thankfulness, even the almost empty tank of petrol will go the extra mile; it changes challenges into opportunities, mistakes into experiences, disappointments into celebrations, doubt into faith.” 



As the leaves begin to change, and the air turns crisp (hopefully, since I am in Texas), will you CHOOSE to be thankful? This thought led me to a series of rhetorical, yet life changing questions:

What face are you showing the world?
Are you a heartfelt giver?
Are you a heartfelt receiver? (Yeah, that one got me.)
What are you giving back to the world around you?
Are you a gift to the people you encounter through out your day?


I'll leave you with this; as much as we authors share our thoughts and hearts to inspire others, you would be amazed at how often they're really for ourselves. This one truly hit home. I plan to smile more, put others before myself more often, enjoy the smells of delicious food, and the sound of precious giggles. As a family, we have vowed to give homemade gifts and be gracious receivers. Today is the day.  













6 comments:

  1. Kimmie, I appreciated your post today! We can all use a gentle reminder at times to be thankful! Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karren! I know it's an area of focus for myself as the holidays approach. Here's to smiles!

      Delete
  2. Timely post, Kimmie. I didn't know you homeschooled your children. You are definitely a busy lady. Thanks for today's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline! Yes ma'am, I homeschool both chicklets (7th and 8th grade). We love it! :-)

      Delete
  3. When life gets one down, I'm a firm believer in a grateful journal. Just get a small notebook. Each day write what you're grateful for -- as many or as curmudgeonly few as you have time to note. It's a sure cure for the grumpies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, that's a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to start a grateful journal!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!