Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, November 30, 2013

Readers Change Lives!

By Kimmie Easley

As writers, we hope to give something to our readers; joy, hope, inspiration, direction, laughter, or even a sense companionship for a few hours. We have a goal in mind.

What we don’t always expect is when a reader takes the time to give something back; to give us insight into how our work has impacted their own personal lives.

I have been blessed with one such reader. I’ve asked this reader, and now friend, if I could share a little piece of her heart and she graciously agreed.

Like any other day, my daughter asked to check the mail. When she came inside she was bubbling with excitement when she handed me a handwritten envelope addressed to, ‘Author Kimmie Easley’. I quickly opened it and started reading. When I was done, I couldn’t move or talk. I was blown away.


Kimmie,

I wanted to let you know how excited I was to learn that I had won a copy of your new book “Souls Set Free” in the Goodreads giveaway. Fortune and luck are not familiar to me. I also wanted to let you know that it couldn’t have come at a better time. When the package was delivered, I found a book I had been hoping for; and autographed none the less, and my sister (whom I live with) looked at me and said, “Finally! You need something good right now.” Which gives you an idea of the hand that the universe has dealt me the last few years.

Then I read the first paragraph, those three sentences and cried a little. I don’t do that. Ever. Especially due to a book or movie. The book was put away because I knew that I wasn’t ready to read it yet. But eventually I did, and what I read will stay with me. It is beautiful how, as an author, you wrote the story through the eyes of someone who feels like the bad guy, who “happy people” could never sympathize with, yet make her the single most human character I’ve met in years. The familiarity was harrowing. At one point, I c aught myself realizing that I wasn’t simply sympathizing with the troubled main character, that I WAS her. That I didn’t want to hug Emma, I wanted to hug Jansen, and because I was already Emma and I knew how inexplicably important it was that Jansen was the man he was. The book proves that strength can help you up, but it can also pull you down. I know that your intention for the book was most likely NOT a lifeline, but it turned out that way. Like I said, it showed up on my doorstep at the right time.

The day I finished the book, I went to visit my mother at the restaurant where she works. When she saw me she was happy and asked, “What do you want to eat? The usual?” I told her I wasn’t getting take out, that I just wanted to swing by, give her a hug, and say hi. She stood and stared for a minute, then asked what I wanted. J These spontaneous drop-ins should happen more frequently, she sees me roll with the punches and move on. She doesn’t see me improve or rise above.

I’m hoping that when an opportunity arises, the voice of Emma will remind me to TAKE that opportunity!

Now that my spiel is done, THANK YOU again for your gift, and for understanding the power of writing! I can’t wait to see what’s next. Maybe another haunting tale of empowerment, I could use a reminder! J It’s a great work, and it’s found a permanent home in my library. Good luck in everything! You make a difference!

*

Now, I’ve probably read this letter twenty times. I pull it out when I feel down or unmotivated. I made sure to touch base with this woman, and found her to be a beautiful, kind, and giving soul. She’s continued to give me uplifting words and she helps drive me more than she knows.

To show my appreciation, I wanted to give something back to my amazing and encouraging readers. In addition to offering Souls Set Free for .99 CENTS over the Holiday weekend (SOULS SET FREE on AMAZON), I wanted to do a reader/reviewer giveaway to say thank you!



After reading Souls Set Free, you can link your review to this event (SOULS SET FREE HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY) and be entered to win goodies, including a $25 Amazon gift card! Tell your friends and let’s make it a party and remember, YOU READERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

8 comments:

  1. This is the type of letter all authors long for. You have lifted a readers life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paty! Yes, it was a turning point in my career, only forward from here!

      Delete
  2. What an inspiritation! The letter was very heartwarming! I know that, as an author, this must be uplifting and encouraging. A wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen!

      It will always be used to propel me forward. I consider it, as well as her friendship, a true blessing!

      Kimmie

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! So glad your reader reached out to let you know how you touched her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope what I wrote comes out clear, because my eyes are all watery. Wow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki! I still cry every time I read it.... :-)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!