Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, February 4, 2024

Life Without Internet (shudder) by @JacquieRogers


 Life Without Internet 
(Okay, 4 days, but still...)

This blog post will not be fancy, that's for sure, but at least I could get it posted (I hope).  You see, we had a windstorm five days ago and it knocked over the tower that feeds us internet service.  Normally, our provider has solid service and if there's a glitch, we're back online within minutes--maybe an hour but no more than that.  But this time...five days, and it doesn't look like we're going to get service until Monday morning.

After four days, I finally figured out I could tether my computer to my phone and get internet using T-Mobile.  It's slower than snail poop but at least I could get online.  So here I am, typing away, definitely not taking the risk of posting the photos I took earlier in the month.  Or finishing the Valentine's Day video.  Or anything else.  It's text only, just like the days of PC Anywhere.  (I'm really showing my age there--I bet very few people even know what PC Anywhere is.)

I'm not saying that I'm utterly dependent on the internet but:

  • I can't access any of my story notes because they're all on OneNote.  And by notes, I mean character development, conflict, plot, what I've already done and rejected, and anything else you can think of.
  • Even if I could get to my notes, I can't access my file!  For some reason, our new fileserver isn't working, either, and it's not on the cloud.  What's with that???  
  • No internet research, and there was snow on the ground until yesterday so heading to the local museum wasn't an option.
  • Doodly doesn't work, which is how I send Valentine's greetings.  Oh well, there's still time.
  • Sure can't upload YouTube of TikTok videos.
  • No email, of course.  Mr R is having DTs over that little issue.
  • Can't order online.  OMG, and lots of things I need for the greenhouse aren't in stock at local stores yet.
  • I've had a bazillion questions that I'd like answered.  No Google.
  • We get the local newspaper but the news is two days old.  That's just not how it's supposed to be in 2024.
  • No YouTube cooking shows.  No looking up recipes, not even my own.
  • Can't plan our trip to Texas in March, which we wanted to finalize so I can make reservations.
  • Also, can't make reservations online.
  • Can't buy books for my Kindle. (faint)  Luckily, I have hundreds of books already, but still...
  • No Facebook, TikTok, X, Threads, Snapchat.  Wait, that's a plus.  I was amazed at what a timesuck social media is.  Ahem.
There's more, but you get the idea.  On the other hand, I planated a lot of seeds in the greenhouse and started cleaning the patio.  But not the garage--it's entirely too scary.


For reading, I've been into biographies lately.  How about your New Year book choices?

Stay safe, and until next month, Happy Reading. 📚😍


If you're on TikTok, friend me!  My handle is @jacquierogersbooks.  
You can get videos of Honey Beaulieu and Sassy's latest updates there.  And goofy videos of her scribe.  Heck, we even do a few cooking videos.


1 comment:

  1. Sympathies from this end. I really hate how dependent I am on so many things I can't control. Great post anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!