Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Greenhouse Effect by @JacquieRogers #gardening #harvest #autumn

 


The Greenhouse Effect 

We finally got the garden harvested.  I'm just so tired.  Mr R and I made apple cider (with the press from Hero and Caroline Clemmons).  I canned marinara, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili sauce, salsa, bean soup, green beans, and made three kinds of jellies.  

No help, either, because while making a riser for my book display, Mr R tried to cut off his fingers with the table saw.  No, not kidding.  We spent several hours in the ER.  Update: his fingertips have mostly grown back, although a little lopsided, he even has fingernails, and the bone splinters healed themselves.  So all's well that ends well.  But still, that was rather traumatic for both of us.

And since it practically kills me to do garden work, we're in it up to our necks now, because Mr R built a greenhouse for me.  Here it is, partially finished, but he now has the outside mostly completed.

Mr R, looking wicked as he aims his drill at me.

I spent the past week drying herbs.  Now I'm wondering why since herbs will grow year around if we get the climate control correct in the greenhouse.  But old habits die hard.  I've always wanted a greenhouse so now I have to make it worth 30 days' worth of work and 947,861 trips to Marsing Hardware and Home Depot.

Anyway, I pooped myself out so Mr R took me to town for supper.  We went to a special place from both our childhoods even though we didn't know each other then, and also since the restaurant is a half a block from where it used to be.  This is the Hong Kong Restaurant in Nampa, Idaho.  

Mr R grew up in Nampa but I only went there once a year (big city, you know.  20,000 people and cars every whichaway) to attend the Snake River Stampede, the biggest rodeo, even still, in our area.  And afterward, Dad took us to the Hong Kong.  This was a super special treat because we rarely ever ate at restaurants, there was no Chinese food in Owyhee County, and besides, we were all totally famished after watching a three to four hour rodeo.

I had almond chicken and Mr R ordered moo goo gai pan.  Yummy!


Dad always had the breaded shrimp, Mom ordered pork chow mein, and I didn't care what I got as long as pork and seeds showed up on the table.  And of course I always scooped up too much hot mustard with my first piece of pork, so blew out my sinuses and anything else that might ail me.  But to this day, that's the first thing I want.  Nope, it doesn't make sense to me, either.   

Anyway, I order other things now that I'm all grown up and sophisticated--that would be almond chicken.  Mr R had moo goo gai pan, and we took about five pounds of food home so guess what we'll be eating for the next few days. LOL.

As for reading, I'm back on a fantasy kick.  I guess I never grew out of the fairytale stage.  What are you reading?

Stay safe, and until next month, Happy Reading. 📚😍


If you're on TikTok, friend me!  My handle is @jacquierogersbooks.  
You can get videos of Honey Beaulieu and Sassy's latest updates there.  And goofy videos of her scribe.  Heck, we even do a few cooking videos.

2 comments:

  1. Love Chinese hot mustard and I too tend to blow my sinuses out.
    I really like Chinese hot mustard as well as the dipping sauce that we make on Thai egg rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this a lot--especially the "big city" comment. I thought I was the only one who considered nearly any five-figure population a big city! Good to know I'm not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!