Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Saturday, May 28, 2022

Peace in My May Garden

(Heirloom Iris my mother-in-law, Nana, planted, also the purple kind below.)

If ever there was a need to nurture a place of quiet contemplation, inspiration, beauty, and food for the spirit as well as the body, it's now. All these benefits, and more, reside in the garden. For me, it's my bit of earth on our farm. For you, it's whatever form your garden may take. Whether you grow flowers and vegetables in a few pots on your patio, or a plant-filled balcony, in window boxes, raised beds, on a rooftop, or an actual plot, alone or in community, having a garden is vital. Especially in these uncertain times. You don't have to be a 'prepper' to see the wisdom of food gathering and the value of gardening. Growing plants nourishes both body and soul. I'm sounding my back to the earth call a little louder than usual because it's important.


I need to take my own advice when it comes to food growing. My challenge is that I prefer to focus on my flowers rather than vegetables and fruits. Both are essential, though obviously healthy home-grown produce doesn't take the form of roses (normally). Now readers will trot out the recipes for rose hips. I know. You can prepare edible concoctions from some roses.

I've got to put more effort into the food end of my garden. I'm trying. I dragged myself out yesterday evening before heavy rain came to plant more tomatoes and get some peppers in. Think I will do more with containers this year. Daughter Elise helped me put in two large, raised beds. I like them. I'll keep you posted on how container gardening works for me. Hot dry summer is a challenge, but now it's May, that gladsome time of year.


(Carefree Beauty rose growing in my bed along the road--for decades)


If you don't garden yourself, it's good to 'know a guy' who does. We're fortunate to have produce stands in our area that sell fruits and vegetables. Do you? It's not like the family are dependent on my produce, but having our own fresh picked tomatoes is desirable. 

Good heavens. We're getting slammed with another storm, a real gully washer and windy. My poor garden. I stake and tie everything, but it won't all hold. I'd say the drought is broken.

Yep. And now we're under a flood watch. That's valley weather for you.


(I grew the foxgloves from seed. *All parts poisonous. A beloved flower of the fairies.)


(Foxglove with Lady's Mantle)


(My mother-in-law planted these heirloom poppies that come back each year, and the yellow iris below with foxglove and my bunny statue. Every garden needs one.)




(Foxgloves in my Secret Garden)


When overwhelmed and stressed and unable to think,
I go out and garden, it's cheaper than a shrink.
~Author unknown


6 comments:

  1. Hi, your garden is lovely. My Irises are all purple. D.V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures so much! I have a black thumb--I can kill anything--but I love seeing (and eating) what others are able to bring to such beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I wholeheartedly agree with you on the importance of a garden--whatever form it takes--to nourish and refresh us, body and soul. Thank you so much for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful and I love all your photos.
    I'm the opposite and go crazy on the veggies. We have lots of tomatoes, tomatillos, 4 varieties of peppers, asparagus, onions, leeks, shallots, beets, radishes, spinach, bush beans, pole beans (the kind where one bean grows three feet long), cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers. We also have grapes, apples, cherries, apricots, plums, walnuts, and thornless blackberries. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with it all, but the food is super delicious so it's worth it. I dehydrate a lot of veggies for use when RV traveling. And of course can/freeze a whole bunch. Then all the usual herbs--might grow some unusual ones next year but ran out of 1'x4' raised beds this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!