Smart Girls Read Romance -- so do the bestselling and award-winning Authors who write this blog.
Join them as they dish about Books, Romance, Love, and Life.






Thursday, December 2, 2021

WATCH CHRISTMAS UNFOLD

By Caroline Clemmons

This is my favorite time of year. Looking forward to Christmas turns me into a kid waiting for Santa. Not that I’ve been especially good—but it’s never made any difference. <grin>

Don’t lecture me about the meaning of Christmas. I’m deeply religious, but—for me—Christmas is like two events. Of course the most important is observing a day set aside to honor Christ’s birth, even though no one knows real date. The other occasion is the fun of giving (and getting) gifts, decorating, baking, and seeing and hearing from friends and family.

One thing I enjoy is the variety of Hallmark Christmas movies. Yep, and I like them all year. I see the flaws in them, but mistakes in continuity or script don’t spoil the pleasure I receive from watching the story unfold. I'm not put off by the fact that the main characters are from a small pool. Two nights ago we watched a movie in which the villain starred as one of the main good guys in last night’s movie. The “as you know” information dumps amuse but don’t annoy me. I. Don’t. Care.


For me, watching a romance or romantic suspense movie is an extension of reading. You know I LOVE reading! A few of my author acquaintances have sold the rights to their romance books to be made into film. What great feeling that must be!

Given the choice between movies or books, I prefer reading. Some things can’t be squeezed into a movie—like a character’s internal dialogue or lateral story threads. This is especially true the longer the book. Have you ever watched a movie of a book you’d read and thought they had to omit too much?

On the other hand, sometimes seeing a story I enjoyed brought to screen is fun. Did the producer cast the right people as characters? An example that pops into my mind is Debbie Macomber’s Mrs. Miracle. The late actress and philanthropist Doris Roberts was perfect in that role. Many other actresses could have done a great job in the role, but Doris Roberts really nailed it. I even enjoy re-watching that movie.


Doris Roberts


What about you? Has one of your favorite books been made into a movie? 



If you're looking for a Christmas story to read, MAIL ORDER GLORIA, An Impostor for Christmas book 7, will be released on Friday, December 3. Grab it here: 

https://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Gloria-Impostor-Christmas-ebook/dp/B09GQLXMVL/

AMY, Angel Creek Christmas Brides book 25, will be released on December 10. Preorder it here:  

https://www.amazon.com/Amy-Angel-Creek-Christmas-Brides-ebook/dp/B098GK1PCH/

Stay safe, keep reading, and have a Merry Christmas!

People watching TV graphic from freepik.com 

  


4 comments:

  1. I love the Hallmark movies, especially the older ones. My new favorite this year, not a HM, is A Castle for Christmas, with Brooke Shields and Cary Elwes. I loved Doris Roberts, too, Caroline Rhea is the new Mrs. Miracle. Frankly, I'm not used to her yet. Merry Christmas, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Doris Roberts! She's wonderful. I like it when books gets turned into movies, and my favorite is Pride and Prejudice. Like Liz, I have also found A Castle for Christmas, and it's so cute. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Hallmark Movies- back when I still had TV. Yes they were predictable - but always so warm and fuzzy.
    I hope you and yours have a non-eventful and Merry Christmas Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't like Hallmark movies? I watch them all year long. I'm by nature a fan of HEA stories and movies. My husband says, "you know how all these movies end." Yep, that's why I watch them. Have a Merry Christmas. Enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Smart Girls Read Romance. We love readers and love their comments. We apologize that due to a few unethical spammers we've had to institute comment moderation. Please be patient with us... we DO want your genuine comments!